X1 power consumption when idle

When the printer is idle, power consumption is about 25 to 30 W.
This can be reduced to 10 what if at the end of a print and the stepper motors are disabled.
The command for this would be M18

These days when energy cost is quite high, it would be quite nice to save some energy and money. I was hoping that this gets implemented into the next version of studio but I don’t see that.
The machine end code still allows 45% power, for nothing ?

regards

2 Likes

:see_no_evil:

Yes, I saw that and still nothing happened in the new version of Studio. GCode unchaged. Have opened a query in github.

1 Like

Ok, now we have that feature included in the new firmware of the printer. But takes 20 min to lower consumption. Will ask why 20 minutes and not 5 or so. Since I don’t see any reason to keep steppers active even for just 2 minutes…

1 Like

the reason is that if you switch off steppers your bed level is gone.
so if you change a spool or play around with your new part(s) you have to do a new bed level before next print.

My experience is different. i do the auto level with first print after switch on, second print (after M18), not doing that again. No problems. The bed level info is stored (M500) and kept within Eeprom. bed is lifted into the regular position… And, how do they achieve the lower consumption after 20 min then ? Could only be M18 within the FW ?

1 Like

the question is how accurate they hold the position when you power of the motors.
bed level info is stored ok but if they sag down 0.05 (what you cant see with bare eyes) you run into “Not so good 1st layers”

since its not a klipper machine we re running blind. hardest for voron guys at all. feeling useless *haha

but you could test it pretty easy if they store whatever is needed to get back into the same position.
switch off steppers and turn the single Z motor a bit → start new print without bedlevel.

please report. i do have a 14h print running atm :smiley:

All z axis are connected by one belt so if you turn one rod all z rods will turn. Before the actual print starts the X1 will have done several home all actions. Therefore i don’t think that the first layer should be a problem when during idle time the z rods get moved?

1 Like

thats the big question. what happens with the mesh after 20min. will it be there?what if you change from textured pei to coldplate without a new bed level? (offset of the tex sheet)

As far as I can see from the StartCode, Bl mesh is stored via M500, so it should remain in the Eeprom. I would alway do a new bed level when I change the plate. Here BL could add a feature that keeps the BL data in the Eeprom for different plates (like the Prusas do that)