Energy waste/unnecessary fan noises in idle state

as soon as the printer is switched on, the stepper motors are under voltage, i also found out from the gcode that after a print, the stepper motors are throttled to 45 percent, but there is no timeout and they never switch off completely, the printer needs in idle 30W and when printing with pla 60-70W that is quite wasteful in comparison, I deactivated with M18 the motorsin the gcode at the end of the print, this brings the consumption down enormously, especially since the printer is not always switched off after a Prints. In addition, it is possible to switch off the fan of the MC for the stepper motors, which actively cools the notor drivers, on the FW side, so that the printer does not always have to run with a fan when it is idle.

sobald der drucker eingeschaltet ist stehen die stepper motoren unter spannung, ebenso habe ich herausgefunden anhand des gcodes, dass nach einem druck die stepper motoren zwar auf 45 prozent gedrosselt werden, aber es keinen timeout gibt und sich diese nie ganz abschalte, der drucker benötigt im idle 30W und beim drucken mit pla 60-70W das ist ziemlich verschwenderisch im vergleich, ich habe im gcode beim ende des drucks mit M18 die motoren deaktiviert, dies bring den verbrauch schon enorm nach unten, vor allem da der drucker ja nicht immer nach einem Druck ausschaltet wird. zusätzlich ist es möglich dadurch den lüfter des Main Controllers, der die steppertreiber aktiv kühlt dann auch mal FW seitig abschalten zu können, sodass der drucker im idle nicht immer mit einem lüfter laufen muss.

5 Likes

Great idea - according to the Marlin document a straight M18 will disable steppers right away.
I have just tried it and yes, the consumption is now around 10 W (before ~ 20/25 W) in standby.
Not sure why BL doesn’t have it right away.
Thanks a lot (Danke)

1 Like

Possibly it’s to keep the bed from falling due to gravity without the steppers holding it up. But honestly, that seems unlikely. Even if that were the reason for keeping the Z stepper active, there’s no reason to keep the others active as well. I think it’s just an oversight.

1 Like

Someone from BL mentioned today that " low-power-at-idle in the coming firmware release. ".
So i guess this one is solved then. I am maintaining my M18 in the end code until then.

1 Like