X1C AMS Slot 4 issues with clogging Nozzle and Extruder

I have weirdest experience with one model , do not blaming author :slight_smile:
but quite and interesting. exactly on the same moment 2 filaments made terrible clog on x1c 0.4 mm nozzle, i had to remove print head and remove clog with small wrench by heating with lighter, it was SUNLU PLA+… then i started to print with ANYCUBIC PETG and voila - same place and new even worse clog , this time filament even stuck in extruder so i had to disassemble even extruder. basically it made my day busy :slight_smile: all i can say both filament were installed in same AMS slot 4 . may be that the issues . posting here as may be someone can give a clue what may happened …
is is AMS Slot 4 issue ?

@lordtime A quick slice (well done on posting model) - its goint some drastic speed changes, which in most expectations sohuld be easily handled by the X1C, but mayben ot filament flow or something a bit off on yours?

I see plenty of succesfull prints in the MW comments on that model, so just looking purely at the point of failure in the slicer, mgiht give some clues - especally across filaments. What speed ar etou running this at? Standard?

Assuming you printed the default 1 piece model, in the orientation the designer droped on MW…

and the line view

2 Likes

hi! thank you for the reply, i printed in pretty standard settings in normal mode as all other prints, with 2 different filaments and both caused total clog on the same moment of print. SUNLU PLA+ and ANYCUBIC PETG. the only one common thing is that both were used form AMS Slot 4 . and that’s only one common thing, id like to retry with other, but its quite a lots of filament to waste and im a bit afraid now as its 4 hours of print and then boom - clog with full head disassembly (last time with extruder ) , good i m not afraid to do so (prev experience with lots of mods on ender 3 v2) but still its not what you expect from that 1500+ EUR worth printer :frowning:

Yes i was annoyed that after spending 2000EU ( here cost that much with some extra plates) to realize that my old printer is doing nicer prints most of the time for fraction of the cost , but X1C has its good points as well especially the AMS

Especially for PLA and PETG , it took months to get to the same quality and same mechanical tolerances with out issues on the X1C

@lordtime your issue is most likely related to one of the following

• do not think it is the slot but check if the roll is free if you did offset the roll it will have resistance and causing issues , just with hand rotate forward backwards the roll in the AMS there should be no resistance, and if it does shift it to the left in the same slot
  • PETG flow - too high for X1C needs to be measured(calibrated) and reduced bit lower 1-2%, my filament measured is 0.99-1.0 and i use 0.97 to 0.98
  • PETG PA(K) - too low most PETG is around 0.05 , but i measured it in my one is around 0.05 and i use 0.042-0.045 , but lower more likely for clogs higher the corners may not be sharp enough - Auto dynamic flow(PA/K) is good for nothing in X1C
  • speed too high - max speed for PETG is 140-150mm/S and i recommend bellow 120 or at least bellow 120 for external walls and surface , for good print 70mm/S, also X1C acceleration reduced to 4000mm/s2 helps
  • Filament wet - new filament out of the box can be wet
  • printing directly from Makerworld is a bad idea as different filament different settings and different people , so suggest import objects only and use you confirmed PETG print settings mainly around the filament , the rest only if you trust the Author
  • cooling parameters less likely but check
  • warping - if detaches from the plate ?
  • unlikely by not impossible HW path related

Additional info for the latest test a and print settings in a test model shared here
The original author created a test model and inside i shared my print settings for PETG and the Author added his successful print settings as well after that so do not use the first publish author as this was the problematic once

what really worries me i printed with this PETG and PLA just fine on many other prints, im using quite slow 10 mm3/s limit on filament settings so speed is not fast at all . and both filaments made same error and clog! just PETG made its even worse

great the 10mm3/s will give you around 140mm/S @lordtime some models are more susceptible to issues related to not ideal tunning
are you printing with your profile or directly from Makerworld ?
and did you check the AMS resistance

From the photos i see that your Flow/ and Pa(K) is not ideal
also two things can try , in my PETG profiles i reduce the travel speed to 300

If you have PLA the same issue strongly suggest add avoid crossing the walls around 5mm-10mm should be enough ,
Another easy check is to change the direction of the infill or the type of the infill or/and percentage

Try leave the door open if you have not done so

Also check if the nozzle is not bend , but if it was would suspect to have a lot more issues on other prints

EDIT : simple to ignore specific AMS slot , either print from external spool or use other slot

1 Like

thank you very much for the advices.

will do all recommended adjustments and print model split by parts. too huge :slight_smile:

indeed my petg/pla prints are far from the best … i nailed tpu better (as i print for drones) !

1 Like

so far so bad, i made most adjustments, made printing slower (8 mm3/s) and used mentioned model split in 2 parts - first part came out perfect, quite good on 8 mm3/s. i started to do part 2 with even slower settings of 6mm3/s (lowered all acceleration as suggested) and its stuck in EXTRUDER :frowning: and probably that’s why its clogged in nozzle

R again :frowning: again full one hour toolhead disassembly practice in the Moring .

i submitted support ticke as its very annoying

may be needed to mention im on latest beta firmware so right now im rolling back as i saw many complaints .

on photos last one is new broken piece, may be worth to add im adding ironing settings to make it shine … but its stuck again on exactly same place as previous 2 prints regardless of speed and filament choice

Sorry to hear that but at least you getting closer and on smaller print
Does not look like a speed issue and not most likely not a firmware
I just starting the model model and let you know what i discover , but only will get the object and use my PETG settings i do not use Makerworld settings from other people had enough problems before

Not sure about the ironing as never use it, i guess you tried avoid crossing walls,
but it looks also that this part of the model the layers are printed in the air and possibly not proper infill support and the bridges fails around the overhang and with ironing makes it worse

It is interesting does the first layer above the infill printed and the the ironing is failing it after that or just could not do the bridges and failed the first layer after the infill in that section ,
may be watch the timelaps recording or share it , that will give more information what failed

• Check with the Slicer how is sliced the first top shell layer line by line where it fails
    You can trace the tool head and see if potential problem and traces in the air and the start point does not attached and then the whole line is pretty much on the nose , usually cleans on the next wall but …
    I have seen a quite few times Bambu or Orca slicer to have a trace with not enough anchorage or starting in the air or counting on adjacent line which does not always work around overhangs

for that you can add modifier and change the infill density in this section or change the infill type , which solves a lot of problems

Not convinced that is a firmware related as everything else is good or and pretty sure that support would be good for nothing

I am with the latest firmware , but in the past after upgrade had experienced some issues and reverted until i found that after upgrade a factory reset helped and that happened on a few versions, but the last upgrade i did not do a factory reset.

With PETG i had only once clogging/build up as usually print a little reduced flow by around 1-2%. and we have done fair a bit printing for over 1Y on the X1C , but we recently started more often PETG on the X1C , before that was using other printer as higher quality and took us a while to get to almost the same

• @lordtime here is what i think is happening and the print is already running with modified settings when i wake up again will be finished or …
    with cubic / or adaptive cubic on the bridge there is a bridge start in the air slicer issue , while with grid infill the same place is starting over the bottom layer properly, normally that just should show as a defect most of the cases , but because of the ironing
    On the normal Cubic is trying to attach it on side layer but that also very often collapses on different spot

problem with Cubic infill 15%

Problematic Adaptive cubic 15%, the tool head points the second point the first point , left right nothing under , checked the layer

Correct Grid - i have not inspected everywhere only that part of the model

1 Like

@lordtime no problem with grid infill and no ironing with the settings suggested

• some minor artifact but that could be from the new roll not dried as finished midprint the dry one . and opened a new one which probably a bit wet as did not dry it , or the fact that i experimented to push a bit the flow from my normal 0.96 to 0.97 to use it for dual purpose testing this model

Overall pretty dam good and no problem and now i have stand for my headset :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have had to replace nozzle completely as after each new print and first clog my nozzle started to clog each time. Im now high profi in disassembling toolhead every day 2 times … :frowning: . now starting default print of this particular stand from external (non ams) as im already afraid to do anything involving AMS :frowning:

:frowning: yeah joy of 3d printing , probably worth checking the extruder and the gears not normal to have so many clogs unless the retraction is set to crazy high number for this printer 0.4-2mm max. And most of the time is not related to AMS
I have dismantled the extruder gears a few times, some time ago. One of the times the TPU tangled inside( when was learning how print soft TPU) , in another time some how there was a tiny piece of PLA .

About the AMS personally apart from one stuck piece of PLA never had any major issues only occasional incorrect placement of the pool
And is over 900h print time on this printer and almost everything from the AMS
But other people have seen problems

But coming from other printers X1C maintenance is kinda nothing

i made my print successful after i completely replaced the nozzle , and after that im printing without problems… until now, its printing but very weird clinging sharp sounds are heard … and worrying about if its extruder or something else after all