X1C misaligned coordinate calibration and failing prints

Hi,
I have noticed my X1C has started thinking the build plate is a few millimeters further back than it really is, even after recalibration. This results in the 90 degree preparation line in the back being laid down halfway outside the build plate, causing loose plastic to usually be embedded in the first layer.
Simultaneously, all my prints have started failing after printing about 5 cm up, seemingly from the print head knocking it over, even tearing up an otherwise solid and well adhered brim. I am not sure if the two are connected, but since the problems arose at the same time - maybe?

Check your print head and see if it is bent a little.

Good call! It is in fact bent. That kinda sucks, I guess I’ll have to order a few spare ones. Now, how might this have happened, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Not really sure, have you accidently started a print while there was still stuff on the printbed?

It will probably print just fine anyway. I’ve seen reports of people “bending it back” with success but I wouldn’t do it before having a spare at hand. BTW a complete hotend is one of the very few things I would recommend everyone to keep a spare of! It’s cheap enough.

1 Like