X1Plus status update, February 6th

I guess that must have come later. Mine didn’t have that.

1 Like

My understanding is that the X1+ “firmware” actually resides on the microSD card. The Bambu “R” firmware on the machine just acts to boot from the card instead of the machine. (Similar to booting a Windows machine from a live Linux USB stick).

According to the X1+ Wiki,
X1Plus modifies the internal firmware to install a bootloader stub, which checks for the presence of custom firmware on an installed MicroSD card. If a bootable MicroSD card is present, X1Plus restarts the printer from the firmware on that card. You can always return to the OEM firmware through the X1Plus boot menu.

During the release live stream, part of the installation involved downloading the base firmware from Bambu and installing it on the microSD card.

My take is that X1+ v1.0 is Bambu 1.07.02 plus a few extra features which are interesting but not essential.

• WiFi performance improvements.
  • Screen guard.
  • Bed mesh visualization.
  • Vibration calibration visualization.
  • On-screen console.
  • Persistent SSH keys (client and host).
  • Printer statistics data visualization.
  • Bed mesh and vibration calibration data are now exported over MQTT again.
  • Firmware upgrade status for individual microcontroller boards.

My warranty is expired and I don’t anticipate contacting Bambu for support ever again. I think installing X1+ is safe, and reversible, but at the moment I do not need any of those extra features, so I do not plan to use it. I will be watching for further enhancements.

2 Likes

New Bambu Blog post:

# Custom Firmware Plan and Our Principles on Ecosystem

@lkraus

Thanks! That’s an excellent write-up.

If the X1Plus developers managed to fix/improve the wifi, that alone would be reason for me to upgrade.

Also, I’d be interested in the bed mesh visualization, because that would inform me if I put on the build plate askew. The tolerances are so damn tight and the plastic guide tabs are so damn shallow that I’m not always completely sure whether the build plate is hanging on the lip of the plastic guide tab or not.

I’m probably going to sell my X1C when Peopoly Magneto becomes available, and so as long as I can put humpty dumpty back together again in a stock configuration for resale when that day arrives, that’s good enough for me. There’s nothing wrong with my X1C. I just want a bigger printer for printing bigger things. If the recent orange giga reviews had come out better, I might have gotten one of those.

One day I was looking for a quick little print to test something, and found this:

I had not thought centering the plate was all that hard, but these little guides definitely make it easier. I mirrored the left one to go on the right.

3 Likes

Sorry to revive a dead post, but do y’all know if we lose the “long retraction cut” that was officially pushed into BL’s last official update? It changes the way the AMS works with purges. I like using X1 plus so far, but haven’t really used it enough to enjoy or learn its potential. The update happened when I least expected it. I saw the article and pretty much went YOLO and did it right then and there. I don’t do many large multi color prints, but I’d like some reassurance without having to learning and plugging in g-code manual stops/edits. Thanks y’all.