X1Plus status update, February 6th

Hiya, friends.

It’s been a little while since our last announcement, and we thought we should give everyone an update on the current state of X1Plus.

We have spent the last couple weeks fixing bugs and adding new features while waiting for Bambu Lab to release ‘Firmware R’. Custom behaviors for the printer’s buttons, a G-Code console, and improved wifi performance are some of the new features since our last announcement, and we’re taking the opportunity to clean up the UI.

We now have an official website - www.x1plus.net. When we do have a release ready for the public, we’ll link it there first.

And finally, and most importantly - today, we received the first test version of ‘Firmware R’ from Bambu Lab. We’re just starting to look at it now, and we’re working on porting X1Plus to it. Bambu Lab tell us that they’re hoping for a public release of Firmware R a few weeks after Chinese New Year, and our current plan is to release our first version of X1Plus at the same time.

We appreciate all the support the community has shown. Your enthusiasm is what keeps us motivated through the march to release! It’s been longer than we thought, but then again, we didn’t think Bambu Lab was going to work with us, and the small delay is a trade that we’re very excited to have gotten to make.

Yours,
Dan and Joshua, on behalf of the whole X1Plus team

13 Likes

Very excited about this, looking forward to your release!

I don’t really have any plans to use this firmware right now, but I’m super excited to see that this is an option! Gives me hope for the future of Bambu Labs printers, as this will most likely bring great new features into the main branch.

i hope it will allow us to do 320 degrees like X1E for PPS!

1 Like

a quick question about your X1Plus version, when the first version is released will this also be possible for users who have already updated to firmware 01.07.02.00 ?

Bambu will release a firmware at the same time, which enables X1Plus to be installed (at the cost of giving up your printer’s warranty).

Even though i am way out of warranty, I plan on staying with the Bambu Lab system.

1 Like

Site is down

Question: Is 01.07.02.00 past the limit of 01.07.0 firmware or is that invlusive?

They are starting now

I still have warranty but I too would stay with Bambu regardless - as long as it’s reasonable: One of my biggest concerns is that as soon as there is an X2 series printer, Bambu will cease firmware development for the X1 and there will essentially be no more features ever, only the occasional serious bug fix (if that). That’s basically how [companies like] Samsung does it and I despise the behavior. Should this happen, X1Plus would be a no brainer.

So true!

I have spare parts and need some other parts also. But the one that gives us trouble is the application board. It has to be fully updated by support with the new serial number.

1 Like

This would only be a concern if Bambu Lab disappears but in this case, cloud will be lost as well so requiring updated serial number will not be an issue as it’s only needed for cloud service, LAN only mode will work with new serial number whether that particular serial number is bound to your account (no more existent at that point) or not.

2 Likes

Did not know that thanks for the info.

1 Like

Is X1Plus a one way ticket? i.e. if we try it and don’t like it, either immediately or in the future, can we restore the BBL firmware like we had never left?

I watched a small amount of the Printing Nerd debut of the X1Plus, and their head developer said it was technically possible for anyone to recompile their firmware, but that it wouldn’t be easy.

From my understanding it is possible to revert back but you will still have voided your warranty.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 4.18.55 PM

Read the whole blog here

As was said in multiple posts, I don’t know about other part of the world but in Europe at least whatever not related to firmware change (mechanical issues, electronic issues etc) cannot just be written off. That Bambu Lab will not support printing issues or any issues that could be related to firmware (print head hitting the walls for instance or nozzle scratching the build plate) is understandable and you will have to prove it’s not related (good luck with that), many warranty issues will be hard to take away simply because bambu lab says so. I’ve seen on this forum some SD card not reading any longer, some seized bearing, some cracks in frame, filament sensor failure etc… which are not related to firmware at all should still be warrantied.

1 Like

Considering that it’s just a change of firmware, that’s a bit of a wet blanket, isn’t it? IIRC, changing firmware on my Prusa MK3 didn’t affect warranty or support, except that they obviously weren’t obligated to support any firmware that wasn’t their own. Duh.

I mean, suppose you just want to try out the X1Plus firmware to see what it has to offer or whether you like it? Under current concerns, you may not want to risk it, even just to try it.

flashing custom firmware to prusa boards voids their warranty as well. In order to flash a custom firmware you have to break a tab on the board and on the mini at least, move a jumper. They void the electronics warranty on the device at that point. How is that so much different from what bambu is doing?