Z Height CRASH

If the bed is very low, either because of manually lowering it down or because of a tall print, the bed crashes into the lower part of the machine during the next print if you don’t lift it manually beforehand.

The belt skips or the stepper skips, either way, crashing the machine this is way is not good.

2 Likes

I have experienced this with the P1P to.

1 Like

This has been brought up several times before. There are threads on it.

1 Like

That begs the question why they dont fix the issue

Who said they are not fixing the issue or looking into it? Maybe they are and there are other higher priority issues. This is common on 3D printers though. I think you can modify the start G-Code to not do the initial down on the z-axis, but I don’t know.

2 Likes

How are they supposed to resolve this?

The bed always first moves a little bit down so it is guaranteed that the nozzle doesn’t touch it when moving the head while homeing all the axis.

So when the bed is all the way down when you switch off the machine, it has no way of knowing where the bed is when booting up again.
This problem is just an ausible problem, the stepper motor or anything else doesn’t get damaged by it.

Pretty easy. Just reduce the possible Z Height for prints and manual movement by the amount the z axis has to move during print startup.
It wouldn’t reduce print volume to my knowledge.

It would just be a soft limit in software, so that the print bed can never be too low as to crash into itself.

1 Like

After my print finishes I always move the y axis forward a couple of steps and on larger prints where the bed is at the bottom I move the Z axis up a few steps

Not that big of a deal to me and way better than crashing my XY or Z axis before hitting home

Pretty sure the future firmware update will do these moves for us but in the meantime it’s a work around that to me isn’t that bothersome

1 Like

well, it seems the issue is present quite some time, i just want to point out, that these things were handled correclty with my bcn3d sigma (one of the first machines they produced) right away, and it should be one on the first issues looked at instead of live video and timelapse, it is a nobrainer to fix (you know your absolute bed position, just skip movement commands running over physical limitations, done). I mean it is a highly advanced machine, no doubt and I love it, but basic functions shouldn’t be forgotten. Hope it is fixed soon, as this thing is not cheap enough for damaging it that way, especially when it does automatic movements, the user did not initiate. (it does it right after finishing a high print already, no way to move the bed beforehand manually)