Z-pinning for more isotropic strength in parts

Z-pinning is a very interesting method to improve the strength of 3d printed parts across multiple layers. (i.e. make the parts strength more isotropic).

I assume this is most effective in solid 3d printed parts but I think this could have a positive effect on strength parts with thick enough walls as well.

The url below links to a research abstract on z-pinning for FFF manufacturing.

“The z-pinning process begins by printing a part in a conventional fashion that contains multiple voids in each layer that are intentionally aligned in the z-axis (Fig 1a). In the example shown, the voids are staggered in depth – one penetrating 6 layers deep, the other only 3 layers. Prior to deposition of the next layer, the print head is positioned over the deeper of the two holes and material is extruded until the void is filled (Fig 1b). The shallower of the two holes remains unfilled. Then the next 3 layers are conventionally printed, maintaining the aligned holes across layers (Fig 1c). The print head is then positioned over the deeper of the holes (different x-y location) and material is extruded in the z-direction to fill the void (Fig 1d). The process is repeated for the following 3 layers, allowing for deposition of a second pin into the same hole (x-y location) as the original pin (Fig 1e). Although this approach allows for deposition of continuous material across multiple layers, the z-pins have a finite length (6 layers in this example) which results in a “seam” at the interface between successive pins at a given location. The seam position can be varied among neighboring pins by staggering either the pin length or the starting layer of the pin.”

1 Like

For a chance to see this implemented, you are better off creating a feature request for Orca (Issues · SoftFever/OrcaSlicer · GitHub) than posting here…

Without pictures it’s a little hard to decipher but it sounds similar to the alternate extra wall setting in Orca slicer.

1 Like

Alternate double walls also increase part strength by increasing the infill adhesion to the walls. But as far as I’m aware it does not directly address the problem that z-pinning is trying to improve, the lower tensile strength of parts in one direction (Z) due to layer adhesion being weaker than the plastic is in the other directions (X/Y).

When the part is more isotropic, as in the tensile strength in the Z direction is closer to the in-plane strength (X/Y directions) it is easier to trust/predict the strength of 3d printed parts.

to quote the research paper:
“This initial investigation of z-pin printed structures with unreinforced PLA showed 20% increase in strength and 100% increase in toughness in the z-direction. The fracture surfaces of z-pinned samples were very rough, indicating that the pins successfully re-routed the crack front as it propagated between layers.”

You have a point, ill do that.

For those who are curious the topic has been added to the orcaslicer github page, here is the link:

Any ideas for how this can be done in practice are welcome.

1 Like