ABS Will not Stick to HIPS Support

Hello all,

I am trying to print a large ABS part using HIPS as a support interface and it is not going so well. I am not having good luck getting the ABS to stick to the support. I will attach my support settings. The prints thus far have been at 100mm/s, 270º extruder, and 100º bed. Bambu ABS with Gizmo HIPS.

On other forums, namely Reddit, I found some posts with the same issue suggesting to increase extruder temp, however original posters did not report success.

Hopefully someone can shine light on this issue and help others out as well! I am impartial to HIPS but I would like to print interface layers of ABS smooth.

Your top & bottom z distance should be 0, not .2, thats why its not sticking.

Did you select hips for your support interface material?

Make sure that your bed temp is the same for both materials. I had a print failure because ams faulted while hips was loaded & the bed temp was lower for hips than the asa I was using. The print lost adhesion to the bed before I could get to the printer to fix the problem.

Thank you s.3, I found the 0.2m as a suggestion on another post. I am trying a test print with no gap and closer to the bed. Unfortunately, I am low on ABS right now and will not be able to try the large problematic print until later this week.

Yes HIPS was my support interface material, and yes bed temps were both set to 100ºC.

I will post an update to this thread:

Since my last post, I have been experimenting with HIPS as a support interface for ABS, and I’m happy to report that I have had success in the previous 600 hours or so of print time. I have also had good results with HIPS as a support interface for PC with the P1S. I am sharing my current settings in the hope that they can serve as a starting point for others. If you have any revisions or insights to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

HIPS Filament settings: 240º nozzle, 100º bed, stock generic bambu cooling settings

I almost exclusively use the Bambu high temp/dual-sided smooth, sometimes engineering.

For polycarbonate, I am using 270º nozzle temperature with 100º bed. I want to try a hotter bed temperature, but the P1S, unfortunately, tops out at 100º. If someone has experience with an X1C and PC, I would be interested in perusing their settings.

My PC settings share the same strength setup (i.e. 50% gyroid infill and 5 walls) and support settings (i.e. HIPS, 60º threshold, etc.) as ABS, but the other tabs have some revisions:

For more oversized prints, I set larger footprints with the brim settings. I want to progress my PC ability to a more reliable standing. However, my next step would be to increase the bed temperature, which is impossible with my current printer. I have had success with minimal warping of functional parts, but I have also had many failures. Please share if anyone else has more to add on ABS/HIPS or PC printing with the P1S! All are welcome, even gloating by X1C owners, as that may be the push I need to order one!

I gave your settings a try on ABS but the last layer of HIPS really sticks to the ABS. Any suggestions? Seems like a delicate balance between enough adhesion for the first layer of ABS to stick but not so much that it becomes one with the ABS.

Thanks,
Derek

Hi Derek,

I use an X-acto knife to pry up a corner of the last layer. Once you get the release started, the rest of the removal is quick. I use a plastic scraper for areas where I cannot reach a blade without damaging the part. Scrapers also work for larger areas of support coverage.

I will also note that I use Bambu ABS and Gizmo HIPS. Perhaps different brands bond more or less. I appreciate a strong bond to aid in overhangs where warping is common.

Let me know if you are successful, I am forever experimenting with different ideas.

Thanks for the reply. I’m using Polymer ABS and Gizmo HIPS for the interface for the test but I have some Bambu ABS so I’ll run it again with that to see if there is a difference. I’ll post my results.