Actions taken against spamming of low-quality models on MakerWorld

Ahh, my bad.

Here’s some extra text so it wont complain about not enough characters.

1 Like

I’m not sure if we agree on the meaning of backpedaling. Removing something to comply with what I’m believe isn’t backpedaling, which is why someone was confused by what you wrote.

Seems I can’t embed pictures or links here, any suggestions?

If you read the message that’s explicitly not why they were confused.

If I wrote “Ok you win, renders only is fine” then that would be backpedaling. Removing everything that only has renders is standing for what I believe in, which is the opposite of backpedaling. But English is my second language so…

You’re still classified as a “New User”. You can post pictures, links and new topics when you move to “Basic User”. Looking at your profile you need to read another 4 topics as you have only read this topic.

4 Likes

This is like when adults talk about you when you’re a kid right in front of you, as if you’re not right there :rofl:

But seriously, yeah what Jon said! Or you can try and send me a direct message?

1 Like

I agree, and I will add that Bambu is trying to be a printer for people that aren’t 3D printing people. I have seen at least 5 different posts on social media asking what filament Collecticraft (or however he spells it) is using to get his vases/sculptures to look so great. It’s a bit of bait and switch because people are seeing a perfect render and thinking they can get that.

1 Like

Hey my bad, I’m on my phone and the reply window takes up the whole screen so I couldn’t check and didn’t want to spell it wrong.

Wow this topic really took off in the past 12 hours. :sweat_smile:

Anyways like everyday I’m sitting here sipping my coffee going through the new uploads and the scamming has really taken off in the past few days. Before I could easily find 3-4 accounts that would pop up over night. Now it’s like 6-8. :roll_eyes: At least they aren’t low quality (just straight ripped from the front page of printables/thingiverse.) :crazy_face:

Looks like I can’t send messages either lol

Collecticraft had a dice tower that had a brick texture on it, but if you looked at the print profile, it was heavily decimated. I would say, it was poorly decimated. Because of that, what you saw in the render very much was not what you’d get if you printed the object. That model isn’t there anymore, so not sure if it was because of that or some other issue. I don’t think it needed to be decimated to the extent it was! Collecticraft has been starting to included photos of printed models though, so. kudos! For whatever value that brings coming from me, haha.

I get asked a lot too about the filaments I use, that I’m starting to try and remember to put them in the descriptions of my models. People love using their own colors, but people also love the look and feel of a well presented model too! I wonder sometimes if certain popular models end up driving sales of certain filaments.

1 Like

You should be able to now.

2 Likes

I agree, people have asked me about my filaments as well. Most of the time I can tell them, but sometimes I don’t remember. My wife buys a bunch of pretty stuff and I rip the sides off and throw it on a spool. Trying to do better about that but it’s baby steps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did those 6-8 accts follow the community guideliines? Like no spamming, real photos presented? If they didn’t follow the guidelines and the latest rules, keep reporting them :slight_smile:

Someone who doesn’t understand the issue and just insists that everyone without a print photo (and profile) is a spammer should imagine themselves in the following situation:

1. You had an account on Thingiverse/Printables.
  2. You have about 100 printable, high-quality designs.
  3. You decide to move them to Makerworld.
  4. There was no photo uploaded there. Since the guidelines don’t specify the need for a photo, and you don’t have images of the old printed items, it doesn’t bother you that there’s no image.
  5. You earn around 10,000 points (approximately $800 value) through downloads.
  6. They delete all your models, ban you, and take away your points, accusing you of being a spammer.
  7. You didn’t violate the guidelines since photos are still not mandatory. Despite bringing traffic to Makerworld, you end up being banned instead of rewarded.

Is it about fair, ethical, and transparent conduct, or does the site itself turn into a scammer in the pursuit of spammers?

2 Likes

I can see why that’d be tough to print out every single one, since you had mentioned about having hundreds of them. If I was asked about how to approach this situation, I’d say to do a curated selection, of like 10 of the best or something. Where you can do those prints, set everything up nice. I think they would be popular! And from there you know, the reward points could help with future prints.

Beyond that though, maybe you could enlist some help from followers/fans of your work? You know, like ground floor access, but part of it is the understanding that a picture of the final print is going to be used on the makerworld page.

4 Likes

You are technically right, but without them advertising that they took those steps it can be hard to prove that they actually took your original design unless it is something very unique looking.

Possibly, the entry point is just getting that started though, granted I guess Photoshop can make things work out if I can just get distinct colors LOL (assuming that would be allowed?)