Allow color flexibility for the AMS filament backup feature

The AMS filament backup feature is nice but there are some limitations that would be good to eliminate. It is very possible (especially when you’re trying to use up remnants of the ends of filament spools) that you want the print to continue with the next spool (of the same filament type) even though the next color isn’t the same as the previous.

The workaround when you’re using non-Bambu filament is to “lie” to the AMS and tell it they are all the same color. This works but it would be nicer if you could still have the real color configured but tell the AMS filament backup feature to match filament type but ignore color.

But where this workaround fails ironically is with Bambu brand filament because the RFID chip specifies both filament type AND color and the AMS does not give you the option to change the color from what the RFID chip specifies.

So if you want to address this the options seem to be:

1. Allow color to be changed overriding what the RFID chip specifies
  2. Add an option to the AMS filament backup feature to allow color to not match
    Personally I’d like it if you added both of these.
19 Likes

It would be nice that if the filament runs out you could select the next spool it should use at that point in case you forgot to do that. “Filament ran out. Please select a new slot to continue printing or replace the spool and try again”

2 Likes

Please post this as new feature request (tagged as such) Since this is different…

5 Likes

@SirWill I’m not sure what to do differently, this has a feature-request tag.

1 Like

:+1:Indeed that would be nice as second option if there is same type filament but not same color.

1 Like

As in your own post, not on an existing different (close) post. Also Feature requests don’t belong in the Beta forum. Unless you are posting about a change to a beta feature you are testing. Hardware platform / feature request tag

Ok, I created the new thread here, I hope that is what you wanted: https://forum.bambulab.com/t/allow-color-flexibility-for-the-ams-filament-backup/3588

1 Like

Should be here and tagged as feature request. Not really a ‘product request’ That would be a new AMS Topics tagged feature-request

I moved it to here Allow color flexibility for the AMS filament backup feature

The AMS filament backup feature is nice but there are some limitations that would be good to eliminate. It is very possible (especially when you’re trying to use up remnants of the ends of filament spools) that you want the print to continue with the next spool (of the same filament type) even though the next color isn’t the same as the previous.

The workaround when you’re using non-Bambu filament is to “lie” to the AMS and tell it they are all the same color. This works but it would be nicer if you could still have the real color configured but tell the AMS filament backup feature to match filament type but ignore color.

But where this workaround fails ironically is with Bambu brand filament because the RFID chip specifies both filament type AND color and the AMS does not give you the option to change the color from what the RFID chip specifies.

So if you want to address this the options seem to be:

Allow color to be changed overriding what the RFID chip specifies
Add an option to the AMS filament backup feature to allow color to not match
Personally I’d like it if you added both of these.
2 Likes

I wanted to create it as a feature request, but in the AMS section there was only a “product-request” tag available.

1 Like

This is spot on. Would be great to be able to select spool order for backup when filament runs out. I have a lot of utility type prints I like to use the leftovers of spools on.

2 Likes

Agreed - this is ideal to help reduce waste. If I could prototype with leftover filament, with the express intent of using up near-complete spools that would be wonderful.

1 Like

I came to the forum to make the same feature request. This would be a very useful improvement; especially when trying to use up the ends of filament spools. Thanks in advance to the Bambu Lab team for considering it.

1 Like
  1. There is no plan to make color and other properties in RFID changeable.
  2. We are working on the solution to make AMS filament backup feature work between filaments with different color in the same type. The internal requirement ID is BBL001-4595.
1 Like

If you could simply choose which spool position to move to next you wouldn’t need to deal with the whole color issue. The software should simply have a setting option so after filament runout it should go to spool position “x” and resume. Whichever color is in the it shouldn’t matter. The user knows and can choose which color by placing it in the spool position.

4 Likes

Why is there no plan to make it changeable? That would totally counter the announcement that the RFID system will be opened.

It gives me a very bad feeling that the announcement will never be fulfilled.

I want to support this. The customer knows best himself whether the filaments are compatible and whether he wants to allow color changes.
You should at least have it as an option. As others have already suggested, you should be able to specify which filament position should be used for further printing if necessary

As smart as the AMS is, this seems like a basic level missing feature. I just ran into the same issue.
I echo this request!

This would be a great feature and very helpful. I vote for this one

Im not sure if anybody knows, but it isnt that worse.

Today I printed in a colour (Bambu) that run out. I changed a different colour (not Bambu) at the same place in the AMS and answer “retry” to the message (running out of Filament). And it works!
It run out again, and I changed the filament to another different colour (Bambu again) and…no Problem!

You need the AMS settings I enclosed…

If I can do this, why Bambu did not allow to do this automatically by AMS?

Please, make it possible!

2 Likes