Alternatives to Bambu Glue Stick

3DLAC spray every time. Nice clean plate, a wee short spray - done well away from printer and its good for sticking / releasing a good few prints before cleaning / re spray.

Using this on a textured PEI that needs very little attention and a cool plate that requires the cleaning / spray cycle more often.

Takes very little spray and a tin lasts for ages.

Reporting back: I tried the visioneer nano adhesive but found it to be so strong that it’s really better used in just special cases where nothing else will prevent warpage and peeling from the bed.

For less extreme scenarios, such as involving PLA, I’m liking this Layerneer stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079984GV5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

because it holds the print when the build plate is hot yet easily releases after it cools off. I was skeptical and bought it on the off-chance it might work, and I’m glad that I did. I think it definitely helps to have a lot of different options at one’s fingertips rather than relying too heavily on any one method.

1 Like

Nano polymer is the best stuff i’ve tried. Yes its expensive, but lasts a long time. You dont need much and it only needs to be re-applied every 5-10 prints or more, does not leave a residue on the bottom either. Best used on a smooth plate as it will spread better then on a textured plate, a few random drops will cover the whole plate.

For the first time ever I got this tiny component Octopus to print without a Raft or brim, and it was Windex that did it!! Amazing!
Thank you for the advice.

With the nano polymer, are there any markings on the bottom of the print that can’t be washed off, but are visible at certain angles of light?

I have tried the Bambu glue stick and also their liquid glue stick, both make markings on the bottom that can’t be washed off. The best thing so far for me is Aquanet hairspray, it works very well when used properly, it is completely smooth on the bottom of the part.

As i mentioned no residue on the bottom like from PVA glue. I often print control panel boxes for commercial clients face down with white text on a black panel and nano polymer leaves it looking perfect. Sometimes dues to too much adhesion the plastic can turn slightly grey from stress when removed, but that is easily fixed with some heat from a blow torch. Its a neat trick a a must have tool for 3D printing!

1 Like

How do you use the blow torch?

Hi,

I use: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B076FF1DM8

40g glue stick
And works like a charm (cheapest I could find).

I’ll only use adhesive for high temp materials… otherwise if you have to use glue stick than there’s settings your missing or have improperly adjusted. The adhesive for High temp is mainly for easy release versus better bonding.

i use this stuff as well in certain cases on x1c and on my ender 3 max i like it because it works and lasts forever wet the sponge applicator and resmear for like a couple weeks on each application

1 Like

+1 for the Elmer’s glue stick, has to specifically be the purple one though, the normal ones just don’t work as well. No clue why, could quite literally be placebo, idk.

I usually just order one every time I make an order from 3D Printing USA, there have been a couple times where it just put me over the free shipping option, so I usually just order one cause I like to have them around. My kids usually steal them so its good to keep extras :wink:

@theman31337 That’s an interesting idea that somehow never occurred to me. Seems like a great way to get more uses out of each application. Are you rewetting it with water, IPA, or…?

I like to wet and re-use gluestick as well, I will usually do IPA to help it evaporate faster, but water also works.

I keep a bottle of water next to the printers and dribble a tiny bit on the sponge and just respread it

1 Like

Seems like there’s a gazillion to choose from. Exactly which torch do you like the best?

Anyone tried NeedIt? It was the clear winner in a shoot-out review:

and yet it seems to be available from only a single european source, with tracked shipping to the US costing as much as the product itself.

I tried it once, you are correct it is quite good, pain is the rear to get ahold of though. Gluestick is much easier to get ahold of any only marginally worse, ultimately if you aren’t printing like nylon or anything like that you will be ok.

@printmaster Gluestick’s advantage is that it’s super cheap and easily sourced, but it’s an extra step to remove the residue that it leaves on the prints. Call me lazy, but I prefer the products that leave no visible trace and so I don’t have to clean it off the print. But that’s just me. If that part doesn’t bother you, then you do you.

You just apply light heat to the bottom where the the plastic is grey from the removal stress, and it goes back to its normal colour. Does not work with Silk, but most other filaments like plain PLA, ASA etc works like magic.

1 Like

Ja, der Preis. Das Zeug ist völlig überteuert.