AMS Auto Refill wrong spool being used

I have loaded two black support spools and two PLA White spools.

• Black Support, one of the spools is low and will run out.
  • PLA White, one of the spools is low and will run out.

When I set up the print I choose the spools that are lowest because I want to use up the material before going to a full spool.

When it prints it chooses the spools that are fullest first, no matter what I setup in the print.
I have trick it into using the right spools during the print by quickly changing the slots they are in.

Why is it doing this?

2 Likes

Are they in order…??
1 & 2 Black
3 & 4 White

Not 1 black 2 white

Yes
1&2 are Black or support
3&4 are White

1 is low and 3 is low.
I choose 1 as my support material Black
I choose 3 as my primary color White

I verified that the auto refill would switch between the correct spools 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. What auto refill does not tell you is the order in which it will use the filament.

When I sent the print it used spools 2 and 4 first.
It should have used spools 1 and 3 first.
Hence I switched the spools during the print to trick it into using the correct spools.

I think I have the same issue. I have the same exact material in slot 1 and slot 4. Slot 1 is mostly empty and the AMS has that data. Slot 4 was a full spool meant to pick up when slot 1 ran out. AMS has the data that slot 4 is full. AMS filament backup is enabled. AMS was synced before the plate was sliced.

The printer consistently uses slot 4 instead of slot 1. I expected it to use slot 1 since that was what was selected in the slicer. I also would like it to use slot 1 so I can empty the roll.

When you send the print from Studio you can pick what slot is being used. Here mine defaulted to A4 (The full spool) but you can pick A2 to start the print from.

AMS Slot

You can also verify what slot is set for backup by clicking on the “Auto Refill”

Auto Fill

5 Likes

Thanks for the rely JonRaymond, however I did exactly what you said and it still picked the wrong spool.
I’m going to try to disable the “Update remaining capacity” to see if it has some wacko code that tells it to use the fullest spool first.

1 Like

So I just discovered this, however it should default to my choices not to what Bambu lab thinks it should be.
Why, O Why would I want to default to a spool with the most filament?
Does not make sense.
To me, this is a bug.

Are you sure you did what @JonRaymond suggested and are not mixing it up with picking colors on the Prepare screen? When I pick a specific spool when I am in the Prepare screen, it will often pick the larger one when I select print, so in the print dialog, I reselect the smaller spool and it works.

1 Like

The bug is it always defaults to the full spool, so we always have to re-select and it’s easy to miss or forget. Pretty dumb and annoying bug. I’m also annoyed by Bambu’s low pace of software/firmware development in general. We need a release per month (or even week) for quite some time if all bugs and missing features are ever going to be resolved.

1 Like

I’m Positive, spools 1 and 2 are the exact same support, spools 3 and 4 are the exact same PLA Basic Jade White.
In studio I pick spool 1 for support and spool 3 both of which are the spools which are lowest on filament.
I validate on the printer that it will switch spools, auto refill.
As I’ve now noticed when I go to print that it seems to choose the spool which have the most material as it’s initial spool.
Been doing software development for 36 years now, take my word for it.
This is either a bug or a lack of good judgement.

Ok, I have never had that happen to me. In the scenario I was talking about, which I previously thought you were experiencing, the following happens.

I select A1 here. Pretend A1 and A2 are the same kind of filament and A1 is almost used up.

Then when I go to print my model. I see that it selects A2 instead.

So I have to then click the PLA A2 box and select A1 in the pop up.

And if I print it after seeing the correct slot like in this view, it always works for me.

1 Like

I bet that it is not specifically picking the larger spool, but is picking the last spool inserted in the AMS that fits the chosen color and type, which is opposite of what it should be doing.

Next time I might try that as a test if I have a spool that is running out, I will put in the full spool first and then the partial spool. My guess is that in this situation, it will pick the partial spool.

3 Likes