AMS cannot retract filament

My machine is broken down and there is no obvious override for the loop I’m in.

It had a problem cutting filament. That was overcome. If I bypass ams it prints.

With the ams it tries to cut non-existent filament then fails to pull the non-existent filament back.

I cannot manually feed the filament from the ams to the head. I pushed a length of filament back into to the ams and from the ams out. The two pieces touch inside the ams. Seems no blockages. Is there no way to force the ams to push filament all the way to the head?

To be honest: I don’t really understand your problem. But if I unterstand (at least your last question) correctly, I think “loading filament” in the AMS settings will force the ams to push the filament all the way to the nozzle.

1 Like

Nope. It tries to cut filament then retract filament before it loads. The retraction fails. Seems a simple override would work. Just an error message.

1 Like

I am encountering much the same issue. There are no blockages i can find in the printer nor ams but it is unable to feed the filament out of the ams automatically and gives me an error “Failed to pull out the filament from the extruder … [0700 8003]”

4 Likes

I think I found the source of the error on my machine. The green circle on the extruder icon on the touch screen menu never goes away even when there is no filament (stuck or otherwise) in the extruder. The filament detection hammer is stuck and won’t move back in when the filament is gone causing the printer to always think filament is present.

3 Likes

Where is this filament detection hammer? I’ve been struggling without an AMS for over 10 days. It’s a very expensive paper weight right now.

3 Likes

In the filament feed there is a small hammer under the small magnetometer pcb that detects the filament. If it doesn’t depress into the device, then it always thinks filament is stuck in the system.

If you look in the videos for Extruder Clog | Bambu Lab Wiki , the hammer is in the small magnetometer board to the side of the filament drive assembly. You can tell it is stuck when the green light on the dashboard screen for the extruder does not go away when no filament is present.

3 Likes

you have to take apart the entire filament feed system, Because bambu cant manage to output a coherent error message telling you which sensor the machine is obviously reading as having filament. This level of incoherent errors is unreal on a $1600 machine.

1 Like

Mine was determined to be the filament sensor itself. The side walls are not smooth enough. The fins on the metal part got stuck. I pressed them away from the walls with a screw driver until the filament could retract without causing the sensor to stick.

2 Likes

I have currently the same problem :frowning:
I needed to print without the AMS from a 2,5Kg spool and now I’m not able to go back to the AMS because the printer is stuck in “Failed to pull out the Filament from the extruder…”
But there is no filament in the extruder, it could pull out.
Printing without AMS is no problem.
No matter what I do I’m stuck in this loop.

It was much money for me getting a machine that needs no fiddeling…

Is there anything “simple” that helps?

3 Likes

You are aware that a 1600$ machine is still a toy for consumers, not an expensive industrial machine were such a thing would really be a problem.
Most people have a much more expensive machine in their garage that never tells them any coherent error messages, but even needs specialized equipment to get the data from them :slight_smile:

I am sure if you contact the support, they will be able to help you.

4 Likes

Good day,
You could have saved yourself the comment. It doesn’t matter if a device costs $1600.00 or “only” $500.00. Surely it is possible that devices can have errors after a short time, however, such comments as yours do not help at all.
I have a similar problem with the AMS. However, this only affects slot 1 (seen from the front left) and only with a multicolor print. When changing the filament from spool 1 to 2, 3 or 4, the filament from spool 1 is not retracted by the AMS.Here always appears an error message. Neither the Nozzel nor the extruder are clogged. I have already replaced the extruder twice, but the problem persists.
With kind regards
Dirk

Translated with DeepL Translator

2 Likes

What caused this and also what fixed this for me was doing a cold pull exactly according to bambu’s cold pull instructional video. The filament got thin and stringy when doing a cold pull at 100c, and part of the stringy filament snapped off inside of the extruder. This caused the filament sensor to be stuck back as if filament was inserted. I poked around with a pick and got the stringy filament to the middle so it would be pushed down with fresh filament, then did a cold pull and it is back functioning like it should be

I am having the same issue. I have been printing for months. This “Failure to Retract Filament” just started.

I fixed this by replacing the ams hub 3 of them and its been fine ever since

1 Like

That’s the same hub that is giving me the error and only that one. The 1st time I pulled the PTFE tube from the tensionor and all was fine. The 2nd time I moved the PTFE tube around on the hotend and hit retry and it pulled it out. The 1st time I thought maybe it was the filament, silk, the 2nd it was plain PLA. That’s the only 2 times I’ve use position 3

I am a completely new user. I had printed with both the Bambu PLA and a Silk PLA without any problems. I then used the Bambu PLA CF and at the end of my first print I got the same error 0700 8003 113337. The AMS is not capable of pulling the filament out of the printer and the tension is sufficient to pull the spool up.

I am at a loss of what to do and don’t yet understand the system well enough to know where to look to try to fix things. Is there a manual way to clear all of the filament in the system? I tried printing but nothing would extrude from the PLA CF…

2 Likes

At this point it should have cut the filament. Turn the printer around and remove the PTFE tube from the left side of the throttle block. You should not be able to pull the filament out of the hot end. I would then go and cut the filament in the AMS and press the release button and manually pull the remaining filament out. When done replace the PTFE tube in the throttle block making sure it’s in all the way.

1 Like

Did you ever find a resolution?!? I amd in your exact shoes now, 50% of jobs end with AMS filament retraction error at the very end.

Could you elaborate what you mean by tensioner? I have the same problem & the same temporary fix you mentioned works for me, but im still hunting for the root cause. Im tried a ton of mods but 50% of jobs end with filament extraction error on all 3 of my X1cs…