AMS: Multi Color Print with black/white - colors messed up

Hi all,

prints with a mix of white and black filaments mess up the white areas. I have black/grey colors in the white areas, even though the flushing is on auto calc and the multiplyer is on 1.0.

I use the 0.4 noozle, cool plate and Greentech Pro filaments, but I dont think its a filament problem.

PLA filament I use:
White and Black filaments: Extrudr - Green Tech Pro PLNA NX2
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0741C6L41?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like

here you can see the ugly grey rings arround my print. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? If its not possible to solve it, then multi prints with the AMS and Carbon X1 basically make no sense at all.

Here is another exmaple: Benchy with a small black area. As soon as the black area starts, you see again grey strikes in the white area.

You need to increase the amount to flush or increase the size of the priming tower. Another option is to enable the setting to flush into objects infill if it is big enough for it to reduce waste.

Black and white filament are the hardest combination as even tiny amount of black will be clearly visible if it remains still in the nozzle.

What are your flushing values. And when you said flushing is on auto-calc, after setting the colors of the filament you pushed the auto-calc button?

On the other hand, white and black - in addition to maybe specific filaments - are surely not the nicest players. What you could do is to identify the sweet spot for purging (see for example here: Printables )

Other subjects: what is your setting for flush into infill, order of inner wall/outer wall/infill? And lastly, here it even may make sense to have a purge tower again to ensure that any small amount of residue black pigments are cleaned out at the PT.

Should I increase the values from 230 to 500 and 632 to 800? Maybe that will help?

Yes, first I painted everything and then I clicked on “Auto Calc” is that wrong?

Which white slot are you actually using? 230 is FAR to little flush volume to go from black to white, it should be around 600+. So I would first increase the 230 to 632 as well and see where it leads. If you aren’t using slot 1 for the white filament, you will have to increase both values further.

Slot 1 is the support filament. I bareley use it. Slot 2 is the real white PLA filament that I use.

Okay, I will increase the numbers and let you guys know! Thanks a lot.

One question though: What is this Prime Tower option really good for? Does it also have an impact on the color problems I mentioned?

Ah, yes, for support filament the value might be fine, I just saw the white color on the screenshot.
The prime towers main function is to reduce oozing and get a cleaner nozzle after a color change or a longer pause. But since it also purges material from the nozzle by printing, a larger prime tower will help the color bleed problem. But mainly I would increase the flush volumes until the color bleed disappears.
As already said, black to white is by far the hardest to get clean lines as even tiny amounts of residue in the nozzle will be visible on the white.

No, that is fine - wanted only to be sure that you hit the button :slight_smile:

As Thrawn mentioned, white is one of those colors that is the most unforgiving. Therefor I suggested to first dial in the value (not only by try and error with a full model)

Awesome I see.

I will next print exact the same object, with the Prime Brick and increased flush values. Lets see how it turns out.

I think this is a great stress test to see how good the Carbon X1 changes the colors without any traces of black.

A2 = White Matt Filament (GreenTech Pro)
A3 = Black Matt Filament (GreenTech Pro)

Above you can see the settings for a new try.

Lets see the results in about 2 hours :slight_smile:

:grinning:

I would test it with a much more simple cube model though. Less wasted filament and a lot less waiting time and you can still see the results.

Any download link suggestion? :slight_smile:

Hi Finsterwald,

see my initial reply - there is a simple testpattern linked for 2 colors: Printables