AMS roller jamming? Filament not making it to the tool head

I’ve had a rash of print pauses caused by the AMS reporting that the filament isn’t making it to the tool head. It’s often happening at initial load, but many times, it pauses the print mid print on a single color.

My first thought was that it was a filament tangle, but that doesn’t appear to be the problem. It similarly seems not to be a jam in the PTFE tubes. Instead, it seems like the roller is jamming (the one with the black gears attached to the yellow gears), or at least not rolling easily enough, and the printer/ams yanks on the filament, causing the reel to literally come off the back roller, hitting the clear canopy.

If I reach in, sometimes I am unable to roll the reel at all in the direction of the filament feedline, but if I roll backwards, then forwards, it tends to unjam.

Does anyone have experience or pointers on how to further troubleshoot or solve this type of issue?

TIA, Eric

1 Like

Mine JUST started throwing this error. It seems like me clicking retry multiple times it ends up fixing it. I still haven’t found the root cause of why it does this but it is extremely annoying.

Hi,

If I understood correctly, the filament gets blocked at the extruder. It could be a clog, but it would happen often and not randomly. If that was (is) the case, the solution is simple:
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/x1/troubleshooting/extruder-clog

Considering that the filament moves along the PTFE tube until the extruder, a more typical cause is the PTFE tube curvature at the extruder entrance.
You can easily verify by looking for faulty regions. If there is a fault, replace it. If not, retry the feeding process, but try to adjust the PTFE tube with your hands to ensure that the filament is fed to the extruder properly.

If the issue persists, please provide further details, starting with the filament in use.

1 Like

Yes, I should have mentioned … simply retrying seems to overcome the issue, at least for a short time.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t believe this is a filament pathway blockage issue. By simply retrying, it tends to work, and often it will lock up and throw the error in the middle of a single color print, so the filament is already all the way to the hotend.

It seems mechanical and related to the roller free-wheeling or transition to driven roller mode.

I had a similar issue and discovered that the PTFE tube was not correctly set (not damaged at all).
Nevertheless, if you feel that the issue is mechanical, it is possible to assess it.

I didnt understand what you mean by roller free-wheeling, yet you mention yellow gear. Are you referring to the extruder or AMS?
Does it happen with any filament or slot?

Is this happening on a specific AMS slot or on all of them?

Do you mean the first stage feeder which is in front of the spool and assists with pulling in the filament when the spool is being loaded and that rewinds the spool when the filament is retracted from the extruder?

1 Like

Exactly. I’m sorry I didn’t know what it was called. And I don’t know if it’s more than one, but it’s definitely happening to slot 2, but not sure if I can get it to repeat on a different slot.

Occasionally I’ve caught it in the situation, and the black rollers will not rotate in the direction to allow the spool to feed the first stage. I haven’t used excessive force, but it’s alot.

1 Like

There is a chance that it is a defective first stage feeder where the mechanical freewheeling mechanism does not fully disengage which then can cause jams of the spool.

Edited to add:
That’s the freewheeling mechanism

How is your AMS placed? Isolated from the printer movements or on top getting shaken up by the printer?

The gear setup in the first stage feeder is setup such that sometimes the roller is connected to the motor and therefore won’t roll freely and appears to be jammed,

This usually works fine but I find that occasionally when filament is low on a spool the gears to not disengage properly and so the roller won’t spin freely and so the spool climbs up and hits the top.

If your problematic slots have low filament on the spools then my 500g solution mentioned in this post, or possibly other weight or ‘AMS Saver’ solutions mentioned might help.

1 Like