AMS Thinks a Full Spool is Empty

So, just got my new P1S and set it all up. Did the calibration, all good. Went to print a test Benchy and ran into issues. I’ve got a full (well, 800+ grams) spool of Bambu PLA Matte that I loaded into the AMS. I keep getting a Filament has run out error. Doesn’t matter with AMS slot I load the spool into. I’ve also tried a full spool of regular Bambu PLA, as well as a couple other spools of different brands.
I can use the Load option in the Bambu Handy app and it will move the filament to the toolhead no issues but as soon as I tell it to print, it unloads the filament, and says the spool is empty.

I have created a ticket, but, we know how slow they are, thought I might ask here first.

1 Like

Maybe it sounds stupid or is something I got wrong, but I would deactivate the “spool filament measuring” and just look at the spool.
Or, maybe, you have not pushed the filament deep enough into the AMS feeder?
(this is something what I did wrong at the beginning).
The AMS must catch the filament and move it to the printhead.

2 Likes

How do I do that?

It is pushed far enough in, it grabs it and feeds it into the system (but doesn’t go into the tube at the back of the AMS) and when I tell it to load, it loads it all the way to the print head.

1 Like

You are right, it should not push the filament all the way. This is only done when printing something.
Please check the overview from the Wiki (e.g., here: Connect AMS to P1 series | Bambu Lab Wiki) and ensure that all cables are connected.

For the capacity check: Within Bambu Studio on the tab “Device”, on the right side in the middle, the symbol with the six sided nut and the little coil, that should open the AMS setting where the second last one is “remaining capacity”.

Apart from that, I am afraid I cannot think of anything more than that you should trace the entire path of the filament to see if there is a kink in the filament tube, sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

There is a small magnetic switch sensor in the primary feeder that detects if there is filament inserted. If that switch is acting up it could be incorrectly telling the printer mid-print that the filament in that slot has run out - but you mentioned it happens in every slot and I would find it hard to believe all 4 primary feeders are bad unless there was a bad manufacturing run or something bizarre like that. Have you opened a case for the issue?

1 Like

I did open a ticket, just figured I’d ask here since we know how long they take to respond to tickets!

1 Like

did you manage to get this sorted? i am having the exact same issue after setting my printer up, thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried removing the filament and re-inserting the filament end while the printer is idle? I didn’t figure out till later that the AMS won’t recognize filament that is inserted while the printer is busy doing other things.

2 Likes

I took the whole thing apart, put it back together and it worked just fine, so I canceled the ticket.