ASA - very rough edges only on the outside top surface

Then you’ve made an important leap. The next part should be easier. If your model isn’t sticking to your build plate then the first thing you want to do is to take it and wash the plate with dishwashing detergent under very hot water. That will degrease and dissolve any organic material on the plate. As a good measure, after it’s dry you could try cleaning it with 99% IPA and a paper towel but that is kind of overkill, the drug store kind of IPA is usually 75% so you’ll want to get the 99% online because it just works better.

Second thing you will want to do is use a very thin layer of glue on the bed at first. You can always add more layers if you want later. No need for the expensive liquid stuff, I have both and it’s a rare occasion when the purpose-made liquid glue outperforms the white kindergarten glue sticks. Don’t be fooled by the stuff that comes in the same chapstick-like package from Bambu or others, its the exact same thing as the $2-$3 Elmer’s Glue stick except you pay 60% more for the label. In fact, for what Bambu charges for a single item of their glue, you get a package of 3 Elmer’s on Amazon

One tip, after you spread the glue take a very wet paper towel and spread the glue around on the plate, it’s water soluble and the wet paper towel trick will evenly smooth out the glue.

Using a PEI plate won’t likely solve this, in fact the engineering plate you already have along with glue will provide far greater adhesion.

2 Likes

@lion7718 Thanks, i have printed several pla parts with zero problems on those. i may have to try that yet. again thanks for your thoughts.

I have started another one. I pre-heated the bed at 110 for hour or more, I have turned up the heat in the room this printer is in. my chamber temp is at 49 right now.

1 Like

its about 45% done.

noz 270, bed is110 and chamber is 49
and i notice the part fan is at 10%

ok, it works good now. I believe the chamber temp helped a lot. it stayed around 45+. and I kept the bed at 110. I still had a small amount of warping. the top surface was good. the taped is an absolute on these large flat parts. at the end of the print the bed was still raised but the tape was holding it down. I had it taped on the corners but it was bowed up in middle between the tape.
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

2 Likes

Thanks for closing the loop and sharing your success. This will help people in the future.

2 Likes

i thought i had the problem fixed but still the top surface looks bad.
i have put clamps on the bed, my chamber temp is about 40C
I am really lost. Here are a couple of pics showing the file layout as you can see the top that is bad is a flat smooth top.

Screenshot (807)

Its surface remains like that after ironing. It is easy to clean off. Usually its plastic remains remain at the edge.

Hello.
I have also encountered the same problem.
Trying to find information.
As far as I understand, the metal sheet of the table top is too thin, and a table top plate is glued between them, which is 0.42 mm thick. The thinner the metal, the worse it sticks to the magnet.
A metal plate a few hundredths thicker is required.
I will try to secure the table top plate with something so that it does not pull up.

do you know of a thicker plate available?
I am still have a terrible time with this. I ordered some liquid glue from Bambu.
should i have a new plate cut out and then stick on one of these replacement covers?

@user_3830817761 this has been a big issue for all of us , suggest you to sort out ASA as PETG a bit better but not good for some parts

• glue , magnets and etc will not solve the Warping which causes lifting or detaching
  • Check if Your Bed is flat i found that my one was 0.5-0.6mm curved also check when heated with flat metal ruler
  • ASA out of the box is not dry , make sure is well dried, sitting outside only after a day is enough to have problems. We found that our eSUN drier does not dry it unless i keep it on for 2 days and even then some moister still in, so no using the oven or the X1C drying cycle
  • the other suggestions BED 110C, no AUX and no Chamber fan, part fan reduced to min , reduce print speed 70mm/S is a good but that is the last thing never go above 150mm/S
  • Chamber Temp 50C+ recommended 60C/65C( almost not achievable without extra heating) soak , very slowly cooldown by leaving the bed on after the print
  • insulate the machine outside helps
  • PA(K) and Flow must be very well calibrated and the auto flow is not good enough
  • Reduce accelerations from 10000 all the way down to 7000 even i have a profile with 3000, and mixed depending on the role
    The top surface unless the warping is bad, usually points to wet filament , PA(K) or flow calibration issue
  • see some of the modification other people done

The 3 main design and QC problems of the X1C for ASA/ABS

• very often curved bed - with V3 it is reduced but still there( i replaced my V2 with V3 under warranty)
  • Uneven heating on the plate especially edges - temp soaking, object rotation different infills helps , but better to have a cast plate on top
  • Chamber it self has temperature variation with out extra heating especially in some areas - for my prints a good cover around solves it most of the time

For our ASA/ABS printing we sorted it out 90% with out special plate and without forced heating after replacing the bed and with blanket very often only for big models, but some models are still a challenge and once successful once not
For one model we added hex holes all around to reduce the tension and that sorted it , but the model allowed it

Here is the last one i am thinking to try before adding forced heating found it in the other thread :

(Profile - user_514568738 - Bambu Lab Community Forum)

(Warped bed :( seems like a common QC issue - #1570 by user_514568738)

I’d just like to say this ultimately solved my problem with warped bed. Thanks for the links. I like my printer again.

Thanks! looks like some good info. I will try this.

well an update to what I tried.
i had my chamber at 50C, my bed was 110C
I had a clean stock build plate with Elmers stick glue. I have clamps on the build plate to hold it down
I used a .20mm Strength setting and as you can see it looks bad.

so now i will try a gold build plate smooth with bambu liquid glue and use .20mm standard setting instead of strength
i am not sure what to do next.

here is the setting on standard speed. I tried lowering some of these and still had a failure. I don’t know what to change

Sorry, I didn’t read all posts in this thread.
But here are some suggestions.
Your original issue is because of the warping.

1. Use dishwasher soap without any moisturizers or any other things. Cheap bottle of Dawn works magic. Clean up your plate
  2. Use engineering plate with either BL liquid glue or with Magigoo (both works great)
  3. Print bed clamps and clamp engineering plate to the bed to prevent plate lifting
  4. Print normally, pre-heat the chamber.

It doesn’t look like the face is laying flat on the build plate. First I would try “Auto Orient” (3rd icon from the left at the top) and see if Bambu Studio will fix it. If this doesn’t work, click the object, press “F” and select the bottom face of the model (it will have a white oval on the face) and this will lay that face flat to the bed.

Thanks!
I did the auto orient.
after i did that the preview of the print looks a lot better. I am printing the green color down or against the plate
before the auto orient the lines looked not uniform, look at the 2 pics

I do use dawn soap and hot water,
a couple things i forget to mention is I dried my new roll of Grey bambu asa and Green polymaker asa
I do use the clamps that just snap on. the asa printed ones seem to work better. I printed some PC ones and they stretched when heated. and are loose.

that didn’t work either

back top the original build plate with elmers stick glue

I really like using ASA from 3D Printing USA, if you can afford it the ASA 275 from spectrum is dead simple to print, but the standard line is a good bit cheaper and also works really well. So well in fact that I can print it on my open air prusa mini and voron 0.2 with relatively little issues. But as soon as I switch to using the enclosure on my X1C it goes down as smooth as butter.

wow that sounds pretty good.
do you think it would solve my problem?
this print looked until the last layers. i slowed it down to 50%