Automatic build plate changer

One of two “new product” features I’d most like to see is an automatic buildplate changer

The X1C is so fast that it often takes <8 hours to fill a plate, and then the printer sits idle the rest of the day while I’m at work.

It would be awesome for larger prints if the build plate could be automatically swapped. I would pay half the price of a p1p for this feature

1 Like

Ahh you need a tesla robot then…

1 Like

@Matt I think we need your link to the Youtube-Video of the robot here :smiley:

@Christian

:grimacing:

I don’t think he’s going to like the price.

Dude on YouTube trying to build an X1C automaton robot

Yes, i think you are right. After checking the price right away yesterday…I’ve decided to stay on my wife’s arm for this job…when I’m not at home.

But I am also interessted in something like this, but i am planing to build something at my own…the next months/years :smiley:

2 Likes

Have patience, someone will build a printer with a conveyor belt bed (Creality CR30 hyper clone) that can keep up with the BL.

Creality has a new "Flagship: printer coming out soon claiming 12x faster than standard Cartesian printers, so maybe they hacked the BL OS or came out with a new solution to increase speed and keep quality.

They would be the ones to make a production model in that manner. 5kg spool holder, use 1.75 or 2.85 filament…lots of things they could do.

BL making a third model that has dual print heads or dual nozzle, that would cut the multi-color printing time by 80% and reduce the wasted filament I hope is the next iteration. Even an CMYK print head and mix colors.

I’m imagining something like this, with a magazine of build plates and an electrically actuated hold down mechanism

1 Like

1 Like

At the moment i am waiting for my „defect“ P6 Shredder to repair it and make it working for my waste.
While waiting I try to write a g-code to get an extruder screw for my recycling. The mechanical parts of my construction are finished (i would say) and are waiting for their production. But the Extruder screw seems to be difficult for the guys at the turning machine. I hope they will be able to produce it within the next weeks so my Recycling-project can move fortward. After this…new things will come :rofl:

An IDEX print head would sadly reduce the print speed for everything but material changes due to the increased weight.

1 Like

Hahaha yeah I’ve worked with industrial robots for years. Big, small, and all the sizes in between. For home use, you’ll probably want a cobot, aka “collaborative robot”. They’re small, relatively safe around people, and in the semi-affordable price range.

The standard commercial cobots will probably come in at around $30k or higher, but you could get something like the UFactory Lite 6 starting at around $3k. Interestingly, robots are very similar to 3D printers and other CNC machines.

I know about it because I’ve also been working with industrial robots (but only ABB) for almost 15 years. But in this case I would prefer another solution, maybe a little simpler. But there is no time for that at the moment. I’m hoping someone finds an affordable way until I finish my other projects. :smiley:

You could always try something like this

1 Like