Bambu lab hardware

Hello,

I hope some one from Bambu lab to read this. I have the P1P printer and I am very satisfying about his performance. But there are also things that I don’t like and frankly I don’t understand why they were made that way. I hope all points below to be taken as constructive criticism and then things to be made even better in the future.

One of the things that I did not like is the choice of sockets for the fans that are soldered on the motherboard. Sorry but why did you choose the most non-standard fan ports possible. These sockets are the most unpopular, they are extremely small, potentially very fragile and to be honest finding a fan with this kind of socket is a mission impossible. 99% of fans that are sold anywhere in the world have sockets that are standard for PCs. Please consider it!

Second. Please, when you create a product that is aimed at consumers and you want to get all their recognition, please don’t cut all default absolutely necessary features. The lack of a LAN port in today’s printers or the lack of USB connectivity is simply inexplicable in your products! Wireless connectivity is a nice option, but it’s often offered as an extra!

And as last why is necessary every time before a print to extrude filament as a trash (the filament was changed once and this filament clear is performed every time before printing). For me this is an unnecessary waste of filament. It’s should be someway a options to stop this.

3 Likes

I think for the last part it’s simply adjust your Machine G-code?

G1 E50 F200
(Machine start gcode section, top of screenshot, at my machine the 64th line)
That line extrudes 50mm filament, lower it and you should be good to go.

I have NO idea what this impacts on your printer, print or anything.
I have NOT tested this, so use at your own risk

1 Like

I think for a product aimed at consumers and prosumers, a missing LAN port isn’t that much of a problem. Most people use WLAN anyways and do not even want to setup a wired connection to their printers.
It is a problem for professional use cases though, where there might be security concerns forbidding such devices to be placed in a wireless network.

I have to agree for the fan headers, though its not such a big deal if you stick with Bambu Lab replacements. I am more concerned about the motherboard fan itself and that the fans are constantly running at high speeds even if the printer is idling or even in its pseudo standby mode.

1 Like

I’ll add my thoughts for what they’re worth. Wifi is fine as long as I’m not made to use a cloud service which is utter, utter ridiculous. It’s temperamental and slow - and that’s when it works. A wired port would be so much more useful; even the Ender 3 could connect with USB. I’m sure there were reasons for the crazy mad decisions, but to me they just seem crazy mad.

1 Like

At least it is now possible to use a cloudless local network only. I would have liked a LAN port as well, but I do not see it as a big problem personally for consumers.
If I would earn my money with these printers, it might look different.

3 Likes

agreed on all points.

The purge is so minimal in the whole printing process. It does it with the AMS because it cuts and retracts so there is a short piece still in the nozzle from the previous print with no connection to the piece being extruded and would lead to lots of stringing on the next print until the small piece is used up. Without the AMS it still purges 100mm or so because they assume you only did one extrude press to load the new filament so it needs to fill the nozzle.

1 Like

Still not understand why it is necessary to purge every time the nozzle (without AMS installed) before new print. You just load the filament and use it for a time and the filament as material is just one and that why it is not needed to clear the nozzle. Just it is needed to preheat and that’s all. And the P1P create a test two lines every time before printing a on the front of the PEI plate just to see as a test if there is no clogging the nozzle…

Even if you pull back the filament from the nozzle, there might still be traces of the previous filament left, broken off or something.
If your next print is with a white or light filament, or one that does not bind well to the previous one like PLA<-> PETG, it might cause some issues.
The little purge is just a security measure and it really does neither take very long nor produces a heap of waste.

And from a developer standpoints. They are building these machines to be used with AMS. Its simpler to maintain just one code instead of two, so I would not develop some extra code just to use when AMS is not used.

OK but this will be only if you change the filament - then the purge is OK to perform. But after you done whit the change this purge is always performed every time even you print many times with a same filament after the initial change. So I don’t understand why it needs to be done every time!

That is true, but I am not sure the printer does actually remember the last filament used between prints. There surely is still space for optimization, but I believe they have their hands full to solve more urgent problems. So I would not count on a a swift improvement.

1 Like

My ONLY complaints so far is omitting the ethernet port, and the glue stick only build plate. Luckily, the whambam! solved the latter

1 Like

ooh really, how do you do that? Please tell me

2 Likes

Scroll down until you find

Added support for connecting to the printer by directly entering the IP Address and Access Code. This must be used with the latest version of Bambu Studio( 01.04.02.00 or higher).

I’m actually a FAN of Ethernet, but I don’t see the need for it in this application. I’d always use a cable for a PC or TV (there’s nothing worse than the stream stuttering because of it), but for a printer? the eye of the needle is the Internet and the Clowd.
if the router is too far away, put an AP in the hobby room. not only the printer will benefit.

I agree with you about the plug selection. conditions like at Apple. just don’t take a preserved standards…