Banding / Ringing type artifacts?

Hi folks !

I’ve installed the modified X axis with the toothed pulley this morning.

Calibrated everything and performed a VFA test from Orca.

The problem is solved at 98%.

It’s not 100% because there is still some very little ringing visible around 90-12mm/s, but the rest is perfect.

It took me 4h to change the axis, it’s something that must be done slowly and carefully as it require a lot of parts removal.

Changing the pulley was rather complicated, especially putting in place the nylon carbon gaskets.

Will see in the next few prints if it was really worth the efforts and costs.

I’ll keep you in touch.

2 Likes

Would be great to post an orca vfa test tower before and after, if you can?

I printed them, but impossible to obtain correct pictures to really show something interesting and corresponding to the reality.

It’s the best I can do.

with toothed pulley:

And with original pulley :

Much better comparison between the exact same part :

The part has been printed aligned to the X axis to have the maximum VFA.

It’s night and day :smiley:

1 Like

The pulley installed :

Please note that I also changed the belts for Gates, and installed motor dampers.

These other 2 mods are probably improving print quality slightly too.

3 Likes

Change light angle and it will show lines:)
I think that there is no change at all…
Only VFA is gone. But small layer inconsistencies are still there.

That looks really good in the picture!

Would you mind recording a video moving the model in the light to demonstrate if it’s the angle of the light that’s hiding the VFAs in your picture?

I think I’m going to do this. Any chance you can post a really high-level process? I don’t need to know the nuts and bolts but the order of disassembly would be helpful to speed up the process.

I won’t as the disassembly process of the printer is available on Bambu Wiki, and regarding the exchange of the pulley I’ve already described the process in previous posts.

No worries. I scrolled back and saw your process. Wish me luck this weekend then.

Someone shared the link to this forum post that I have recently posted something on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/1b8dboe/the_faster_you_print_the_better_quality_am_i_crazy/

I might as well share my finding here, the most prominent VFA is on the X axis when it moves from right to left.

After speed reading a few posts back in 2023, I’m going to try to square up the belt tensioner, centre the belt.

1 Like

Yes, it seems like an improvement, but I notice a similar difference when I speed up the printing. The surface becomes slightly rougher, and the waves disappear. The top print is a bit duller than the bottom. Where did you buy the belts and motor dampers?

Excellent work! Shame it’s not a “controlled” experiment though as 2 variables were changed and we cannot tell for sure which one helped. BTW the motor dampers have other downsides- as the motors are now flexibly mounted you may get corner artefacts when changing direction quickly. Especially with a Bambu due to the high jerk/square corner velocity. Have you noticed anything of the sort in prints with sharp edges? Like a low poly print?

The same cube on my modded printer with default print values without any optimization :

I think it’s quite clear the impact these pulleys have on print quality.

You should calibrate Pressure advance because your corners are sticking out.

I know thanks.
That’s why I wrote that it’s without any optimization to show the result with default settings.

Even better now

1 Like

Post the speed view from the slicer - it would help understand what speed the external perimeters are actually printing at, as the filament cooling options in the slicer can affect the print speed. Also a shot with a top down lighting would be better to evaluate artefacts - side light shots tend to hide them.

Finally in the shot above you can see the corners being inconsistent. This may be due to motor movement because of the dampers. Would be good to understand seam placement in that model and whether these artefacts happen because of the seam jumping around or because of stepper wobble.