Black Friday sale and misleading discounts being advertised

Have any of you ever been to Kohls?

So, it’s kinda what you’re discussing but just in your face.

Go to Target and look at an item, say a Keurig. It’s 49.99. Same at Wally World and Amazon.

Go to Kohls and they have a sign that say’s SALE $20 off!
List the original retail price as $69.99, on “sale” for $49.99.
Now sometimes, they’ll give you Khols cash if you purchase something, but not always, and it cannot be used on that purchase. That gimmick is to keep you coming back, and only then, when you use that, are you getting a discount.

EVERYTHING they sell is like that. From the rooter to the tooter it’s all just a smoke show. Yet, people still swear by them…for a little while.

5 Likes

ONCE, I think I’ve been to a Kohls once in my life. I was dropping off an Amazon return and they print the confirmation with a 40% coupon attached. I think I spent an hour walking around that store trying to find something to buy that wasn’t in the tiny “excluded items” section at the bottom of the coupon. I finally left after coming to the realization that EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING in the %&$*# store is excluded from that coupon lol.

2 Likes

Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress… they all play these “discount” games. I guess I’m just used to it. But guess what? With the possible exception of Aliexpress, and maybe some exclusions on Ebay, they all have return windows. You have time after-the-fact to decide whether you were scammed: if so, you can return it in that window, and the seller takes the hit of now having to manage the return. That’s a big part of why I don’t think it’s in their interest to yank you around too badly. You’ll just get pissed, and then it becomes a loss for them. You may lose some time, but you get your money back. Returns have never been so easy like they are now. It’s maybe the only thing keeping sellers honest.

1 Like

What weird is that China, at least internally, has significantly stronger laws than US and even EU for consumer protection against false advertising. You know how on Makerworld you can’t claim something is the “best” print profile? They’d didn’t just invent that for their site, that’s China.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Boy, if they would apply those same rules to buyers outside of China, the jump in reputation would be huge. Meanwhile, every LED flashlight on amazon from China is sure to be advertised as a minimum of 1 Million Lux, and every 50x50mm solar cell is at least 100 watts… :rofl: You can’t know what you’re getting, so you don’t buy. All the wild exaggerating actually hurts them because nobody believes anymore.

3 Likes

And every 18650 battery is 19,900 mah, if it’s less than that don’t even bother :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been addressed but there is going to be an extra discount on top of the current discount, the price just doesn’t take effect until midday 21/10 which it does say. There’s an FAQ with the current sale prices and the discounts that will be applied. For example the X1C Combo is currently £1319 but will be £1099 when the sale starts (which is the current sale price for the X1C with no AMS, that’ll be £919 in the sale).

Yes, the FAQ shows the correct discount. This page is buried two links down from the small print.

So, why lie on the main page?

It clearly says a discount of up to £340, when there is no discount anywhere near that.

The discount being offered is good, but, the one they promote on the promotion page is entirely made up.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!

1 Like

Usually in the EU the former price has to be the lowest 28 days before the promotion.
I make pricelist exports for several online shops where this has to happen since years. Otherwise they would be reported to customer organisations to cheat and would have to pay high penalty fees. Also the free unknown gift is a little bit strange. You can assume a maker box (or how these things are caleld - mouse, clock, engine …). In fact there is just for few combis a real better price. I will anyway buy an A1 mini.

Same in the U.K. as stated at the top of this post.

1 Like

Amen,

I hope to buy the products of bl because I believe in their quality and they have a very good price/quality balance.

These advertisements are not needed and not valid! It looks like they are changing there philosophy regarding marketing. They are getting greedy I think.

Not such a good development if you ask me.

2 Likes

Isn’t the ‘up to 349’ off the X1C combo? It’s regular price of course

I think you have missed this point I made and many others have said is true in their country.

I think is the best summary.

The actual discounts are reasonable, why bother lying?

It is worth noting this.

If you leave the Black Friday Sale page to see the Terms and Conditions, they clearly state, the up to £340 is a massive lie.

The biggest discount is £220, a decent discount, so why lie?

Pretending the price charged several months ago is the before-sale price is disingenuous (a lie) and totally pointless.

Their pricing is all over the place

I know, it is even possible the graphic designers and marketing team had gone on for drinks and did the work afterwards.

The fact that is a pact of lies is why I was annoyed.

They are promoting the A1 mini as #100 off despite them pointing out it is not in the sale.
The A1 mini price is great, further discount seems unnecessary, but, saying it is £40 when the T&C’s clearly state there is zero discount and it isn’t in the sale.

Just totally nuts.

So the same crew who came up with the exclusive program?

4 Likes

In most EU countries, there is the Omnibus Directive (Directive 2019/2161) that requires sellers to show the lowest price of a product in the last 30 days when advertising a discount. This law is designed to prevent misleading discounts by ensuring that customers can see if a discount is genuine. If Bambu is not displaying this information, they are likely in violation of consumer protection laws.

The European Consumer Protection Service oversees these issues. They can impose significant fines for non-compliance, which in some countries can be up to 4% of annual turnover or €2 million, whichever is higher.

Just saying… The directive: https:// eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2019/2161/oj

4 Likes

The sale going on now appears to be the same price they’ve had going on since I bought my P1S Combo and A1 mini

2 Likes

The very points I have been making.