Black spots in Print with PLA

My P1S is 1 month old and I got problems with black spots in the print with PLA from BambuLab since 4 days.

I tried following:

• Cold Pull instruction from BambuLab tutorial video 7 times.
  • Clean Bed and also tried another PEI textured plate
  • I just printed white PLA Basic within the last 10 days.
  • Cleaned the nozzle with a Copper brush
  • Print with door opened and top off

See picture below.

Hi, are you only seeing these spots on the first layer or also further up?
Is it only accruing with this filament, or also with others?

Also further up… I see these spots whith all light-colored filaments…

Here you can see these spots on layer 3

My initial thought is that it could be an issue with the filament itself, but that seems less likely if it’s occurring across multiple spools. I’ve experienced something similar, though not as frequently, and it was due to excessive heat and a high flow rate. Have you inspected your nozzle? There might be something adhering to it. If it looks fine, consider removing the hot-end sock to check if both the heater and thermistor are properly positioned. If everything there seems okay, then it’s a good idea to examine each component along your filament path. Open up the extruder and give it a thorough cleaning. If you’re using an AMS, you might want to try printing without it.

To clarify, you did not previously print in black? Are you using a black plate? Are some pieces just coming off the plate? Is it your nozzle touching the bed at those spots? Otherwise, I think your nozzle is clocked with the filament somewhere and burning up, then pushes it out later in the print, giving you that. Are you using the right filament size that your nozzle can use? I always order 1.75mm, I believe.

I doubt that you can fit a 2.85 mm filament.
Do you have another hotend you could try?

Could it be dust from your environment that sticking to the print during printing and causing the dark spots imbedded in the print?

5 Likes

I’m just using bambulab’s PLA Basic. Nozzle is not touching the bed. First layer looks pretty good.

That was my first thought on it… But it’s not the case. I tried to print the same filament with my other P1S which work very good.

Interesting, maybe its part of the the extruder housing wearing?

5 Likes

I will try with a new hotend and give you feedback tomorrow. Thanks so far!

Cool, while you are at it, try to open your extruder and check for any debris.

There is like black grease on the extruder where the filament goes through. Is this normal?

That should not be there. Did you ever try to lubricate anything on the printhead?
You can use an IPA to clean that. The Extruder should not be lubricated; the yellow wheel is Nylon, which lubricates itself.

No I did nothing on the extruder so far. I tried to clean the wheel with a cloth, changed the hotend and the first print in running now. I can give you feedback when it’s done.

One more question about the extruder. These 2 black gears are full with black grease. Should that be there?

No, that is actually the part that drives your filament into the hot end. They should be bone dry. So, clean them and also the extruder housing surrounding them with isopropanol and a lint-free cloth. That should fix it.

I guess the new hotend and cleaning extruder wheels fixed the black spots. First layer seems to be good.

I‘ve printed the first 3 weeks with closed door, top on and aux fan off because of warping near the fan. Could this have cause the problem?

2 Likes

Awesome!
I don’t think this has anything to do with grease in the extruder. I guess it is some production issue on BambuLab’s end.

From your picture, I can see you have some cooling issues. I suggest bumping your part cooling fan speed by 10% or 20%. I get the best results using a little liquid glue, even with PLA on the textured PEI plate. With that, you should have no issues when using the aux fan.

1 Like