Brim become easier to remove when enabling Support

I was using PLA, the brim is easy to be removed by hand always. I recently started using PETG, it seems the brim are much hard to remove cleanly, and certainly I need to use knife most of time.
But I noticed an interesting thing, when the print has with Support enabled, both the brim and support can be removed easily by hand. Is there reason behind this? Is this just coincidence in my 5-6 samples?

1 Like

The brim goes around 100% of the model. When you use support, the brim goes mostly around the support & doesn’t touch the model as much.

1 Like

This makes sense.

I’ve examined the initial layer path of my model. When only the brim is enabled without support, the brim printing path follows a circular pattern from the outside to the inside, and then proceeds to the bottom of the object. The edge of the object and the brim line that touches it are printed in a continuous pass, resulting in a strong joint between the brim and the object.
However, when both brim and support are enabled, it appears that the support interferes with the brim printing path. In many cases, the brim is printed separately in its own path, followed by the bottom of the object. Consequently, the edge of the object and the brim line touching it are printed in different passes. This can lead to the brim cooling down slightly before it connects to the object, resulting in a weaker joint that is easier to remove.

1 Like

There’s an option to space the brim out further from the model if you feel the brim is too hard to remove (Brim-Object Gap). I use the base .10mm, but .15mm or .20mm might offer easier removal.

1 Like