Calibration cubes are all too small

I have been having an issue with parts being under sized on my P1P. Been using it since late December. I have been looking for a way to calibrate the e-Steps Thinking that was the issue. Just put P1P #2 into service last night and the same issue EXACTLY, right down to layer lines and bridging defects both printers are printing exactly the amount under sized. Have tried two different cubes thinking maybe something was wrong with the first one but again they are identically wrong.

The first cube I printed in the slicer said 25.4mm cubed and measured about 22.49 mm cubed. Latest cube I printed is this from Printables it is a 20 x 20 x 20 and when printed comes out as 17 x 17 x 17 Bambu Studio confirms the 20 mm cube size. Only change between printers is for the Filament type PLA and PETG Pressure advance corrected. and then resliced.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Perhaps I have a slicer setting wrong somewhere? It would seem that the common items are P1P, and the slicer. the

Something is very wrong.

I would expect large dimensions to be within 0.5% plus at worst 0.1mm from inaccurate extrusion width on any dimension.

I just checked a couple of 30mm cubes I printed a while ago one in PLA+ the other in PETG and all sides are within +/- 0.1mm

1 Like

This might sound silly, but have you tried cleaning and lubricating everything? Pretty sure you should not be messing with e-steps, and with this huge discrepancy you must be missing some. Run the tensioning and calibration procedure afterwards.

And another silly suggestion - have you tripple checked that you have no X-Y Countour compensation set in your slicer? I accidentally saved an X-Y hole compensation to my profile and wondered why everything is loose and weird and it took me a long time to realise it.

After that, file a support ticket. There’s not much more you can do.

Cubes were printed on two P1P printers one new out of the box the other in use since Dec. Both give Identical results. I have checked the slicer settings and not found any thing out of the ordinary. I did use the scaling on a project a few weeks ago but that should be tied to that project not everything. The slicer reports the model size as a 20mm cube, I’m going to scale it x2 and see if the error is proportional.

Are you using digital calipers? Are they zeroed properly?

1 Like

I discovered this morning that very thing. My calipers had gotten zeroed at about 3+mm. That should have been the first thing I checked. Initial reason I was checking calibration is that i use round magnets in some prints and the holes have trouble being round on the sides of prints x & y faces but fine on z face. Calibration cubes came out equal on all sides regardless of my measuring error with the calipers.

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps, but I just notices today that bambu studio scaling is not correct.
its says that 100% is 25.6. But we all know, 1in = 25.4mm. Also, their print beds are 256x256x256 wrong again. i dont know why they (bambu) uses 25.6mm to 1in, but is wrong per all math rules. Or I’m just losing my mind.

1 Like

I double checked this and bambu studio 1.8.4.51 converts 1in to 25.4mm

I don’t know how you came up with that result. I created a 1.00" cube in Fusion, scaled it to various sizes in Studio, changed units and re-scaled several times, and the scaling results were always correct.

The only occurrence I’ve found for a 25.6 mm measurement in Studio is in the default size of some primitives, but there are no specified sizes for those.