Can You Change the Temperature After A Certain Layer?

I know other slicers like Prusa, Super, and Cura you can change the temperature after a certain layer height. Is it possible to do this in Bambu Studio and if so how does one go about doing this?

The reason I ask is because I am using a petg filament that recommends lower temperatures than what Bambu Studio has preset. I just want to print a temperature tower to see what works best.

2 Likes

In the preview move the top layer slider to where you want, right click the slider + icon, add custom g-code.

Bit tedious. Cura has a couple of great calibration print generator plugins. Does prusa have anything? Bambu really ought to do some basic temperature and retraction towers or distribute projects for a selection of them.

5 Likes

https://www.printables.com/cs/model/335144-bambu-studio-temperature-tower-petg

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies I did find some instructions on how to add the custom gcode but I do hope and wish bambu adds the ability to change settings at different layers like Prusa, Super, and Cura.

I would love to have the ability to not only change temperatures based on layer height but also change the infill density as well.

Like prusa you can change most things by adding modifier parts to the object.

Studio is based on PrusaSlicer and adding a custom gcode, like temp change, is done the same way. You slice the model, move the slider on the right side down to where you want the temp change to take place, right click on the " + ", select “add custom g-code” and insert the gcode required like M109 S225 for example. In fact in Studio the handling is even a bit easier than in PS.

2 Likes

In studio I don’t see how to edit or delete inserted custom g-codes or even know they are there.

I did not even know that was a thing. But this is exactly what I needed for temperature changes. Also do you know if there is a way to change the infill density based on the layer hight? Would you apply this same method?

@Zero I’m not sure of any gcode commands that can modify infill percentage, unfortunately; you’ll have to check me on that though because maybe there is a way but idk.

Good news is, you can modify the infill percentage by layer in a much more brute force method through using a modifier with the following steps, generally speaking:

Summary
  1. Right-Click Part → Add Modifier → Cube
  2. Click the new modifier that pops up over in the tree then scale the shape based on where you want more infill.
  3. Ensure you only have the modifier shape selected over in the tree → Strength Tab → Sparse Infill Density (say 100% for this case).
  4. Slice away. In my example here, everything layer 30 and below in 100% infill and 15% layer 31 and up.
1 Like

You can find lines to the left and right of the “slider line” (not sure how to call that). When you move the slider on top of that you will see the " X " on the side. here you can delete the insertion. But not edit, this would be a good thing for the devs to add as feature

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the detailed info. Its a little easier to do this in Prusa and Cura but this is a really good work around! Again thanks again I really appreciate it :grin:

1 Like

When I loaded the temperature tower project superbobo75 posted above I do see it change temperature but didn’t see any layer markers like that. I assumed the project contained temperature change g–code at layer, but, looking further I now see it was done in layer change g-code as part of a custom machine profile.

What I don’t understand or doesn’t seem to work … if I enter the code M109 R210 for layer 10 and then the code M109 R220 for layer 20 and then open the custom code window of layer 10 again, the code from layer is there 20 in it, i.e. always the last code entered. As if all previously entered codes were overwritten with the last one?

It always shows the last entered command but the previous changes remain. I noticed the same thing and figured I’d load that .gcode file in notepad to inspect it. At the layers I made changes it had “Custom gcode” followed by whatever it was I entered at that particular layer. I wish it did show you what was changed though. Because if it were something other than a temp tower and I made a more complex change, I probably wouldn’t remember what it was.

I have been doing some research on this topic. New to this forum and not able to create my own post. So I am stuff replying.

I just ordered an A1 and it will be my first ever 3D printer. While that is shipping I am prepping some calibration files. One of those files is the Temp Tower. I got the g-code to run under the Post-processing scripts section. BUT I wanted to use the M109 command " M109 - Wait for Hotend Temperature" h t t p s colon // marlinfw dot org/docs/gcode/M109 dot html Which I found when doing to research.

The issue is that it appears that it is not taking that command and 109 is being converted to 104 which is simply a change temperature command only. I was trying to get this code to pause until the temperatures caught up to the layer of the temp tower but it doesn’t seem to want to do that. Has anyone solved for this? Or is that something I shouldn’t worry with and let it run as is with just the temperature changes?

I read another article on the Bambu forum and it alluded to another g-code command not having support yet. How do we know what g-code commands are supported by the software and which ones aren’t?

Any more experienced with this topic have any advice?

You could just install Orca Slicer. GitHub - SoftFever/OrcaSlicer: G-code generator for 3D printers (Bambu, Prusa, Voron, VzBot, RatRig, Creality, etc.)
It’s just like Bambu Studio, but with extra features.
It has Temperature Tower and other filament calibration tools built into it.

In case this helps someone else new to Bambu and Studio and has some doubts about using custom code for fear of hurting somehting, I just did what @Zero said above in Studio on my P1S and it worked perfectly.

M109 worked well. One user said it would not hold for the temp to rise but I set M109 one layer short of where I wanted it to start. I was raising 5C at a time and by the time the layer was printed, it was at temp. So it worked really well.

What were you changing the temperature for?