Create a legit P1S firmware

The P1S firmware is clearly a clone of the X1C as it includes some unnecessary moves from the X1C in most of the LCD driven operations, including the QR Code reading on the bottom left corner.

Since BBL is not willing to open the source code, at least, do some clean up for the next FW version and make it a legit P1S

6 Likes

Or just add 3rd party QR functionality to the P1 …

Can I create a custom firmware for p1s and reinstall the original firmware if i messup

Welcome to the forum.

Short answer - No

Long answer - You can try but I would highly suggest you not use a PS1 to “develop” firmware for but rather instead an open source printer with firmware you can easily fall back on.

2 Likes

You are able to alter the startup gcode to prevent these unnecesary movements with the P1S.

I’ve done some changes to my start g-code, and discovered some things. At the front left corner, there is a pin that presses the filament cutting lever. The gantry moves to that position not for reading QR Code, but to cut the filament. Other thing I’ve learned when dealing with start G-code, is that I’ve moved the priming line from front to left, and I’ve learned that there is a dead spot at the front left corner, that you can’t move the gantry from all the back to all tl front at the extreme left, because it will hit the filament cutter pin.

This is actually very interesting… But why does the printer need to cut the filament before the print starts?

It doesn’t do this if the AMS is not used. It’s just a check to make sure the system is correctly purged etc. With some extra sensors i the print head you could eliminate the need to do this. I am sure that one of the things Bambu wants is for it to “just work”. If this means doing extra cuts and purges instead of having an occasional failure to start, they will chose to do the extra purge (or so I believe),

if ams is being used its so i can retract retract a nice clean end back up into the spool rather that a stringy mess.

Right, but that could be done after a print completes, not before a new print starts. In the case of an interrupted print, the machine could keep track of whether it shut down cleanly or not. As I said, the current behaviour (to automatically cut before each print) saves on installing sensors, and adds to start up time, so the machine becomes easer to use as you don’t have to checi it before you start.