Cruise Ship Print

Had a very interesting visit to the Hamburg International Maritime Museum and Miniature World Museum and have been inspired to increase the level of detail in my 1:500 models. Have started on Arcadia - which I think is currently a bit plain at the back.

Current design

Proposed new more detailed design - deck9 rear only

First test print not perfect - some parts a little too small

2nd attempt a bit better - but railings still quite uneven

think it is mainly due to speed changes between bridging (slow) and the posts (fast)

Added some speed modifier blocks in to bring the speeds down for everything

Now looking quite good and ready for full colour test print

5D324502-859A-4231-A645-53341DFC73E5_4_5005_c

Most required extra details added to upper decks - just need to address balconies on all other decks

Update - lots more detailed added - which caused a few F360 issues.

Before

After

Final version - ready for test prints

Some Fusion 360 renders of the more detailed version.

5 Likes

Work progressing on adding detail to Queen Victoria

Previous

Now

3 Likes

Post deleted post deleted

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Post deleted post deleyed

2 Likes

2 Likes

The thought that this toppling over could happen occurred to me instantly when I saw the 60% image without your table components and the garbage all around indicating small poop volumes.

A larger prime tower only in terms of dimension but not necessarily in volume would be a nice thing, BS only scales the depth of the prime tower via the set volume (?).
Maybe closer to the model and with a huge brim?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Post Deleted post deleted

3 Likes

Impressive… Ventura and Azura are based upon the Grand class of P&O ships, the first being Grand Princess. I’d like to see Oriana and Aurora too. Oriana has now sadly been sold and Aurora is leaving the fleet in 2025/26. The latest Arcadia was originally built for Cunard.

Thanks, I have done a model of Aurora - would like to sail on her but haven’t found anything suitable so far - will try and arrange something for next year.

1 Like

Started on printing the more detailed 1:500 version of Queen Victoria.

Decided to split the top decks off seperately - to de-risk in case of failures.

Have also done a bit of a tidy up - and moved all of the old test print / doubles into a waste pile

First attempt failed on stairs and canopies - should have tried it single colour first

2nd attempt about 60% through - and looking a lot better

Thurs mid day - Main body progressing well - 42% complete - about 12:30 to complete - so should be ready by late morning tomorrow (after overnight pause).
Need to reprint top bow section as a part seemed to be missing.

Thurs evening 84% complete - about 3.5 hrs to go, paused for the night

Finished - just need to reprint bow top section and a few accessory parts

4 Likes

Next ship project -

Added some wind to the sail - by creating a triangular tspline/form - subdividing it and then moving a few of the points. Then thickened it.

only 23 minutes printing time for the sail - quicker than I expected - will be interesting to see if it works.

Double size version almost worked - but got slight kink in sail near the top.

Saturday - decided to push the sail size up to the maximum height that will fit into the X1C -

3 Likes

Wow, does not do that justice. I wish I knew more words. wow.

1 Like

Queen Victoria detailed print now complete - quite pleased with the level of detail I have managed to get.

Compared to previous less detailed version and 1:1000 version

4 Likes

Starting on experimental internal fit out of 1:500 Britannia - will just do a few decks to see if it is practical

1 Like

Starting on new type of cruise ship today - the Sea Cloud, which I photographed last year at Malaga and Cadiz

Should look good when in full sail - as per this picture

Tuesday - design progress quite nicely

5 Likes