Cruise Ship Print

Been following for a while, loving the LED’s in the Virgin Cruise ship.

Defiantly need to find myself some time to get some of these printed myself.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks - the Arvia 1:500 model on Makerworld does have channels in it for some basic individual LEDs.

1 Like

Sea Cloud design progressing quite nicely - going to be a challenge to print some of the detailed stuff like ropes etc.

Just had a hopefully good idea about what to do about the strings. Rather than trying to print them, or add thread I was thinking of using thin wire.

Then I should that if I am running wires I might as well have some LEDs on them - something like these silver strings with LEDs build in.

Day time

Night Time

4 Likes

Sea cloud getting closer to being ready for a test print.
It was designed for 1:250 scale - but if I scale it down slightly to 1:300 it will actually fit on a single build plate - and looks like it might print with a 0.4mm nozzle in one go single colour.

Just need to add quite a few more supports, plus also ways to hold the ropes/led cables.

Not really practical though to print multi colour in one go due to the really inefficient printing of the masts and sails - with 1550 colour changes. You can see by the height of the prime tower.

2 Likes

Could you not print the sails separately and just have a hole they pop into within the main body?

1 Like

Next stage of adding detail to Cruise ship models now underway.

I think the windows on my ships won’t ever be transparent enough if they are 3d printed - even if I try really thin PETG.

So decided to use acetate instead - like most of the models in Museums seem to use.

Bought a Cricut Maker 3 for cutting and marking the Acetate, and so far really impressed with the level of detail it can go with the cuts.

Started on one of the top decks.
Remodelled the windows using the F360 sheet metal capability

Then flattened them out and exported the outline profile
Plus some lines added for decoration as DXF’s

Imported in Cricut design studio -

Then used the Cricut to write on the lines (with pens) and then cut out the outline - pretty impressed so far with the quality of the cuts

The acetate looks a bit milky so might need to try a different brand.
Now reprinting a test version of the top section to see how the acetate parts slot in

Pretty impressed that the X1C can reliably print 0.2mm wide slots.

Quite pleased with final results

Update - tried various different types of acetate and different thicknesses. Decided that normal thickness folder over seems to be the best compromise for rigidity and looks.

On the Cricut you can annotate the Acetate with different colours, score it for folding and then cut it.

Also working on some upgrades - so a remote/computer controlled pause button (using a SwitchBot).

And some extendable Lack based Arms to hold the mat up.

1 Like

Looks really nice. Please be sure to post a photo or three of the final product. Is this just for personal purposes or something else?

Thanks - mainly for personal purposes - but also I have published a few on Makerworld. Adding extra detail (like the longers and proper windows) was motivated by a visit to the Ship Model Museum in Hamburg - I did contact them to see if they were interested in showcasing 3d printing as a way to create models - but so far they haven’t responded.

2 Likes

Well good luck. I hope it turns out better than expected.