Does Bambu use any open source software in their firmware?

Usually companies have a list of the open source software/libraries used in their firmware, even if the firmware itself is closed.

However, I can’t find anything about this on Bambu’s site - only the post about the slicer fork.

Officially the firmware is closed source and completely new.

The firmware, so far as I can tell, includes the print head, the screen (which is not just a screen), and the main control board.

I find it hard to believe there’s not a single open source library in any of that.

2 Likes

Why do you think they would require opensource libraries ?

Opensource firmware are complexe because they target tons of different printers, different drivers, main board, language, screens, etc… but really interpretting gcode for a printer that is made by you is really not that hard.

They may probably have copy/paste some functions but not required, the hard work is done by the slicer (wich is opensource).

1 Like

Break into the system and decrypt the firmware and proof they have been violating open source licenses.

But writing a firmware for a very specific set of hardware is not that hard to do and they had about 2 years at least to get it done.

Yes. The bootloader is u-boot, and the firmware is Linux (buildroot). Atleast on the X1/X1C. The P1P does not run Linux as far as I know.

3 Likes

Not just talking about gcode.

For instance, encoding the video stream from the camera. The TCP/HTTP stack etc.

All these things are likely to be open source libraries.

1 Like

Hum well maybe, maybe not, it is hard to be 100% sure, they can use free libraries wich may be not opensourced. Or opensourced libraries with a license that enable them to be used freely in closed source without the need to advertise on them.

Yes,
or they got a license from a closed source software to be allowed to use it. Or they used open source software whose license allows to be used in closed source systems without the requirement to open source your own stuff or even make it public.
There are a ton of variation on licenses and only they know what they used or not.

Given how bad the networking works, they probably rolled their own.

2 Likes

Given how the networking has never failed me since install till now. I have a 10 2022 X1CC.

My printer and I happy with the nerwork/cloud system. It just works for me to perfection each and every time.

2 Likes

The X1C runs some version of Android.
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: user_debug=31 storagemedia=emmc androidboot.storagemedia=emmc androidboot.mode=normal boot_reason=cold mp_state=production fuse.programmed=1 androidboot.slot_suffix=_a root=PARTUUID=ec80b46b-853f-47cc-a948-39e36bb85d34 rootwait earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff570000 console=ttyFIQ0 rootfstype=ext4 snd_aloop.index=7

1 Like

Interesting - you can SSH into it?

Also, to be clear, I thought there were two main components here.

The interface firmware (be that with the screen or LCD), and the board that controls the motors. I think there’s even a small firmware on the print head itself.

No, you can’t ssh into it. Yes, there is a PCB with a microcontroller on the the print head, and yes there is also a motor control board. Neither of those will implement the core control of the printer. The will receive commands from the application processor on the main board. What level of smarts are in the motor and extruder boards is unknown. I would doubt they process gcode though.

The actual display is just a screen. It is driven completely by the AP board.

My understanding is that the X1(C) is using Klipper (as opposed to, for example, Merlin)

They appear to be using a custom firmware. If they would use Klipper or Marlin, they would be required to disclose this. And I have not found any such notice in the documentation.

I see. You got the console logs by way of an exposed UART?

Right you are! And I have no idea why I thought it was Klipper, come to think of it.

Yep. Helpfully marked on the AP PCB.

Not the circled connection, that’s the wireless antenna connection, but right to the left of it is UART.

1 Like

In my case the P1P AP board which is a bit different but similar had very low BT power. I found that the foam cover had been smacked in shipping and the antenna connection was loose. I pressed it a bit and the BT power went up. Allowing me to bind the printer.

Hence the comments about the screwy way to setup the P1P printer. No BT no binding, no access to Bambu Studio.