Empty Spool Collection - Thoughts

I was just curious what everyone is doing with all their empty spools. My stack is starting to get a little out of control. The recycler in me keeps when thinking I’ll reuse em, but most of the filament/colors i’m after never seem to have a spool-less option and I end up with more lol. Really which I could find a way to repurpose them besides Christmas light organizers, i’m at capacity on that. The hoarder in me hasn’t yet brought myself to start throwing them out…

Also wish there was an option for like even a $5 credit when ordering an AMS to get it without the empty spools included :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this some. Haven’t figured a practical solution yet. Almost think we need some sort of spool pass it along program, so people aren’t printing new spools! Whenever I see printable spools on makerworld it makes a part of me ache as a stack of un-used bambu spools looms over me.

1 Like

Are we talking bambu spools? Sell 'em

Is there really a market for empty used BL spools?

Empty Bambu spools are helpful, especially for those using the AMS and third-party brand filaments.
If the final price is appellative (incl. transport), I will acquire a few.

1 Like

I’d give them away for free to anyone willing to come get them!

Don’t want anyone printing new spools when there’s so many unused ones sitting around. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I dont swap colors enough mid spool to really need more spools than the AMS can hold at once. Like i’m usually running the spool till its gone, then swapping in a fresh one. So even if i get a filament with a cardboard spool, its not in the machine till theres an open spot which means I’d just be reusing one of the 4 already in there.

As for the market, i’ve seen people trying to sell em on eBay and stuff, but I just never really figured it would be worth the trouble vs what you’d get for them. Maybe local pick up, but thats far less an audience.

Bambu Lab should make something in their build kits that utilize empty spools

design contest using spools would be a neat one.

on that note, make an RC car with spools for wheels/hubs.

But i’m also with others here, people that recently started up this hobby will have a shortage of spools, donations welcome ^^

If someone wants to pick up empty original Bambu Lab spools free of charge from Berlin:

Send DM.

1 Like

Would be a cool idea and side that split apart making different style “rims” that can just lock on to the back half or something lol. Yeah i’d be willing to donate, if it was picked up, but thats a much smaller demographic for me not around many people 3d printing

an rc w those wheels would be bigger than 1/5 scale, probably closer to 1/3, which needs proper wheels to support the loads. Cool idea but those spools are too fragile for rc cars unless you want a 1/8 scale mt/truggy w oversized wheels for a couple of seconds or minutes tops

eh, you have a printer, you can easily print something to sit inside and give you a support framework and a tpu tire or smth like that… and remember, they can hold up a kg worth of filament on the edges as they are. prolly more with some bracing.

As an AMS user I’m always on the lookout for empty Bambu spools so either PM me or advertise them, much better than going to landfill.

Am I missing something. I have yet to see a broad selection of filament refill choices on Bambu website. Tossing out all those spools that were designed to be re-usable is wasteful.

Very true, there is barely any. I dont understand why they cant just not add the spool to all the filament options that have the spool lol