Ethernet Port

I can currently (unfortunately) only reach the printer via WiFi. However, if I want to operate several printers side by side, this is not an option. I would therefore welcome an Ethernet port for the printer.

13 Likes

Yes, don’t know why they didn’t added that into it.

4 Likes

It would have been nice to have the opportunity to add one even via usb to Ethernet

2 Likes

While I 100% agree that ethernet would be nice, why does WiFi only prevent you from operating several printer side by side?

5 Likes

Do you have any idea how many WiFi networks there are in the neighbourhood? Not to mention existing devices in my own network. In general, I prefer Ethernet connections, not only for security but also for stability reasons.

12 Likes

Understandable… And for the record I would prefer ethernet as well. Just surprised that it couldn’t work to have multiple wifi machines next to each other.

1 Like

And btw: WiFi should definitely support 5Ghz!

15 Likes

Why, it doesn’t need more the bandwidth, 2.4ghz has longer range as it punches through walls much better. 5ghz would only add more cost.

2 Likes

Some organisations flat out don’t have 2.4GHz WiFi networks any more.

Think what you like to that decision, it is however a fact.

Just having one frequency to worry about when positioning APs, and fewer concerns around interference, it’s not all that ludicrous an idea, especially if all of your devices support it.

On the Ethernet port - I’d also personally prefer this too, but having seen how the machine is layed out, ethernet would require an extra port on likely an additional board, along with additional internal cabling, and well over 90% of the potential users of the machine would never think to use it.

4 Likes

My goto is to install an inexpensive 2.4GHz Access Point for Ethernet to WiFi connectivity, with hidden SSID, for devices of that are WiFi only and require connectivity.

• Access Point - No NATing or firewall or routing consideration needed.
      Should just work as a pass through device.

• Hidden SSID - Only devices that "know" the SSID connect to the WiFi.

Enjoy!
Bill

3 Likes

Generally Hidden SSID as a feature is is best not used, as modern devices show those networks anyway so it doesn’t help to keep the WiFi network list clear, and actually working out what the SSID is, is pretty trivial for someone who might want to try and connect to it.

1 Like

Hi, can you recommend a product ? Or just point me in the direction of a product with the correct feature?
Thx

1 Like
2 Likes

So now that I know the Bambu X1 Carbon has USB on board, why can’t Bambu come out with a USB–> Ethernet connection so we can use our hardwired networks and not have to rely on Wi-Fi or the cloud. I love my X1 but for $1500 you’d think they could have included ethernet networking!

4 Likes

Because an USB port is definitely not enough, and the firmware (or operating system in case of a computer) DOES need some drivers to handle the USB device. So it will probably never happen as a) Bambu printers are probably running very low level firmwares (that means, no Windows and even no standard Linux under the hood), b) it’s not up to them to handle several USB devices drivers (that are otherwise created / provided, if specific, by the devices manufacturers).

1 Like

Not only Ethernet. The printer MUST work entirely without the cloud! All features should be available by using just the home LAN.

3 Likes

It already works without the cloud. Simply send it to the SD card instead of just hitting print or put the SD card into your computer, export the file onto it and put the card into the printer.

This is 2023 on a $1500 3d printer… the sneaker network died a decade or so ago. As I’ve said, I love my X1 Carbon, but the lack of ethernet and not being able to have full functionality without using the cloud is a massive downside on this great printer.

3 Likes

The printer already has network onboard. Why should I use an SD-Card though?
No. If it has network, it HAS TO BE work over the network, not the cloud. There is absolutely no technical reason to make this functionality dependent on the cloud other than to have control over the user (and its devices) and data retension.

2 Likes

+1 for ethernet, this is important in larger spaces

7 Likes