Ethernet Port

The Place I live in, is a bit crowded by Wi-Fi Access Points, so yeah, even though, the Printer got 2 out of 3 Wi-Fi bars. It looses connection constantly. So an Ethernet port would be lovely, just an aftermarket thing from Bambulab themselves

3 Likes

The X1 runs linux on its Rockchip RV1126

It would be trivial for Bambu to add the modules for USB ethernet to the firmware, but then physically adding a USB hub in between the cameraā€™s USB port (4 pin microfit) and the camera and USB ethernet adapter is non-trivial. There arenā€™t unused USB ports on the printerā€™s AP board.

See Open Source Software | Bambu Lab Wiki for a bit more info on the firmware.

Iā€™ve tried a load of USB ethernet devices and other devices so can confirm the options required were not selected when they built the firmware.

would love to see an ethernet connection Wi-Fi is usable but for high concentrations of networks its just too unreliable (on a personal note iv spent a small fortune installing a 10gb wired network around the house not been able to add my printer to that is frustrating especially as i prefer not to expose my devices to the internet whenever possible).

2 Likes

As Wifi module from BBL X1C is crashing if WLAN router supports 2.4/5 GHz i think lot of user would like to have ethernet port. Itā€™s really a pitty that Wifi module from Bambulab is crashing all the time because of this.

2 Likes

My eero mesh network broadcasts both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously for the same SSID, and I have no issues with my X1C connecting. Previously I was using a Netgear Orbi mesh and also no issues. I do not think there is a systemic issue out there for this, but there has been some compatibility issues identified in the community with very specific vendor firmware like Ubiquity.

Having said that, sure - the option of an ethernet port would be a welcome inexpensive option for them to provide on future models or hardware revisions. I do not see an official retrofit becoming available for us though. I work with other maker devices like Glowforge and Ditto that also do not offer an ethernet port - wifi only seems to be a trend in this space.

Same for me here. Really wish there was a jack for a cable.

2 Likes

Had my company buy this printer only to discover i have no way of using it. I canā€™t put files on micro sd without special exception for usb, takes months. I canā€™t put this unknown device on our secure network. Printer impressed me, but about as useful as a paperweight and will be returning it, making me look like a fool for auggesting we buy one in the process. Perfect way to ensure an entire huge corporation (70k+ employees) never buys your product againā€¦all for the price of an RJ45 jackā€¦

1 Like

While I agree with you mostly, I work as a design engineer and it seems a major oversight to not include a standard communication port as many corporate customer will want to create their own intranet of printers. If Bambu doesnā€™t care to sell to corporate customers, that is their prerogative. However, that seems like a design oversight and in this case is less than ideal.
Yes, in a perfect world, I would have time to carefully read the datasheets of everything I purchase. However, in the real world, you sometimes make assumptions. Assuming a printer of this quality would have an RJ-45 jack seemed like an obvious assumption. (but you know how the saying goes).
Once again, as a design engineer, I think was a design oversight, thus the post. The rest of the printer has been great, but without the RJ-45 jack, this unit is going to be basically useless within our IT environ. An RJ-45 port and the ability to connect directly to the printer would solve all of these issues. The company seems to like to know where it has missed the mark. This is an example of that. Forgive me for offending your sensibilities, sir.

4 Likes

I agree with both you and Thrawn, mistakes on both ends. However, I was talking to my Tech Guy a couple of weeks ago about this exact subject and he said there were several ways to secure and isolate Wi-Fi/Cloud devices and still be accessible to a business network. He is not in today so I canā€™t get him to repeat all his lingo. You might want to sit with your IT guys or outside techs and hash this out further before returning or mothballing the printer.

Only reason I havenā€™t bought one is lack of ethernet and (local) web interface. really too bad :confused:

Lack of Ethernet is losing corporate customers. Only reason I havenā€™t bought one for the office is lack of ethernet. We cannot configure this type of device for WiFi access period. A hidden WAP for WiFi to Ethernet would violate corporate policies unfortunately.

2 Likes

I dream of the day that Bambu comes out with an Ethernet adapter for the bambu x1c but I wonā€™t hold my breath. Lucky for me my X1C sits about 7 feet from my Netgear router/wifi and I have a 2.4 setup on a seperate SSID

+1 for Ethernet inclusion

I also am from an enterprise environment and the lack of an ethernet connection means we will likley not invest in Bambu printers until this (or WPA2 wifi authentication) is included.

For an idea of scale, I know of many educational and enterprise areas which run upwards of 50+ printers with a high turnover rate, high filament use and high purchasing of spare parts, so this seems like a missed opportunity for Bambu Labs.

1 Like

Just go my X1 Carbom Combo :slight_smile: Reeaaally sruprised there is no Ethernetā€¦ and I cannot connect to my Hidden SSID WiFi network! :frowning:

+1 for Ethernet :slight_smile:

The sad part is, that the controller has an RGMII interface. So it would have just cost them less than ā‚¬3 for an KSZ9131 + maybe ā‚¬1 for an Ethernet port. They could have had full 1GBit Ethernet connectivity.
The KSZ9131 is even supported by the Linux kernel so it would have been quite easy to add it.

Lets hope future printers get this, especially if the SoC supports it right out of the box.

3 Likes

Not only future printersā€¦ I want one for mine that just arrived! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, an expansion board supporting ethernet should be feasible. Wired connections are more stable, the cannot be jammed by any wireless signal etc etc.

Unfortunately, no. RGMII is already a bit sensitive regarding signal quality. So it will not be possible, unless they would have prepared it already, which they did not do.

So adding Ethernet via RGMII is not an option. The only option would be the USB route. But that would require some weird adapter board, so I would also say it is unlikely.

Although it was a weird decision, this printer will not get Ethernet, let us just hope for the next version.

How were you able to connect the Bambu Handy app to your mesh system? I have a Orbi mesh that does both signals simultaneously and it wonā€™t let me connect the printer. I have a X1- Carbon that i just got today on 10/25 lol

For the Bambu I did nothing special on either mesh to get it to work. On older 2.4 devices years ago I had to disable the 5ghz radio using an option that was under advancedā€“wireless or using putty and command line. There used to be a watchdog timer that would re-enable the interface on my Orbi Rbr50. Depending on the method, you might also want to unplug any satellites since they configure separately when using command line.

I also have like 75 iot devices (bulbs, plugs, switches, etc) that are all also 2.4 only and they all joined fine to both Orbi and Eero networks.