Ethernet Port

At its price, 5G wifi and Ethernet should have been included with the X1 Carbon. I still bought it anyways. However, I would have bought one sooner if it had the ethernet port.

2 Likes

@dana.nelson So you run a separate 2.4 network for your IOT stuff?

@christian.woznik Thanks for the explanation. I agree the USB route being unlikely. I was not aware of the RGMII issues related to signal quality. This could explain current behavoiur.
Lets hope for a next version which has a wired connection.

Iot devices I run on my eero’s guest network for isolation. Eero gives very little in the way of network configuration, and guest is a full 2.4+5GHz mesh just like the primary vlan. My X1C has no issues joining either with the full mesh enabled, but eero does offer a temporary 5GHz disable function for legacy 2.4 devices that do have an issue.

Well, there is an Ethernet version, called X1E, you just need to pay 1000 EUR extra for that!

Then you also know why BambuLab never added the Ethernet port to the regular X1-Carbon printer as they want to sell a “professional” version for 1000 EUR more.

I actually considered getting a BambuLab X1-Carbon printer and only the missing Ethernet port prevents me from doing so. Seeing now that they intentionally left that out to add another model for 1000 EUR extra feels not right to me - will rather get a printer from a different company then…

2 Likes

Woah, slow your roll buddy. This isn’t 2053 yet.

No, for real, that would be nice. or 6 even.

They have 1 coming. Its only $1000 more than the x1c lol. But it does all the stuff that the x1c is advertised to do (actually controls chamber temps and filters air.) Plus it has good connectivity. They basically made a good x1c and nearly doubled the price lol

Sorry guys. I also think it’s a shame that an Ethernet port isn’t already built into the X1C. But honestly, I don’t understand this sarcastic whining and bashing. You don’t have to buy Bambu printers. There are plenty of alternatives.

Are you complaining about complaining? You dont have to read comments. There are other forums/alternatives. Was the purpose of this post just you saying you like ethernet ports? You sorta stirred the pot. Your own comments are complaints “wifi SHOULD have 5ghz”

ah yes but if you use a microwave it can disrupt 2.4 which doesn’t happen with 5G… 2.4 works great for smart home stuff but if anyone turns on the microwave , it can disrupt connectivity , 2.4 gig is used for many things , including old cordless phones and microwave ovens… 5 gig doesnt cover as far which is true but its much more stable. I installed a WiFi mesh and never looked back ( work from home and on VPN all day )

Also , doesn’t the hugely more expensive X1E have a LAN port, its not the only additional feature but it does have an ethernet port built in.

Hey, has anyone an X1E on hand? Would be interesting to see, how the parts are connected, for Ethernet I would assume USB, but not sure.

Anyone tried to attach a USB (Type C) to Ethernet Dongle to the Mainboard?

If the firmware support this USB Port (atm it doesn’t), then a dongle should be working.
maybe a feature request help to support this in future.

so apparently it is not a type-c usb port. It is a micro USB port which will spin up a network bridge.:
192.168.234.100 is the IP of the printer, 192.168.234.101 (or others from the subnet) is mine (the laptop)

What ports are open?
322: no idea, might be rtsps, but i cant get the “rtsps://192.168.234.100/streaming/live/1” thing to work. Source: How to access camera on LAN ?(firmware 01.06+)
990: That means you can do ftps://192.168.234.100 (username: bblp, password is the LAN access code)
Port 3000 (TCP)
Port 3002 (TCP)
Tunnel is ssl: unknown service
Port 8883 (TCP) Tunnel is ssl: mqtt → we know that one, its the built-in mqtt broker.

So the TCP 3000 might be documented: Printer Network Ports | Bambu Lab Wiki

hmm, sorry, but I don’t get your point.
what have these ports todo with the option to offer a additional ethernet LAN Option via this USB Port?

Do i see this right, every FTP Client should by able to send the next print if he can check the ready status thure a TPC output, were ever the prot for this singal ever will by? Damn, I just don’t have enough time…

Add. after 3DJupp answer of course it can since there are a cloude controule - I’m just getting stupider every day… There has to be a way in there somewhere but I really don’t have the time for :frowning:

Those are indeed just some side notes on the used client protocols. The micro USB is (in that case) used as a client, not as a host. But that might be changeable using OTG (a certain pin needs to be grounded)

At least you should be able to view the files and store some.
Still there is no real API, besides those MQTT and FTPS chunks.

The USB port is most likely used for factory and repair diagnostics (hence client) and would have a driver installed for it to be operational. That is normal for PC board manufacturing.
The SSL and other issues are related to the network stack which operates above the physical layer (hence wireless or wired would be using it).
A driver for a USB network converter could be installed but then they would have to have a way to bind the usb interface to the network (host) or the test(client) when needed. They probably didn’t want to bother.
There are many printers out there which rely on wireless as their own networking option. The cheaper IO chips with networking are not the best in managing their way through a crowded airway. This is very frustrating when it jumps on and off the network. Use a lot of bluetooth devices near it and you are going to end up with some flaky networking. You can see this with a lot of cheap IOT devices and their marginal network support.

We (consumers) of some cutting edge equipment (like a 3d printer), really need a way to depend on networking, card reading, cameras, etc. There is enough problems in trying to get something to print properly, quick, or with multiple materials, that having to deal with operational problems is just frustrating.

I absolutely want a hardwired ethernet solution for my X1C. Please help us!

3 Likes

I’ll jump in, too, in support of an ethernet connection. Just got my x1c and my office wifi does not jive with the printer, I think it’s blocking ports or something. I have an isolated ethernet network for my dep and would love to throw the x1c onto it. It would be so much easier than asking IT to figure this out.