Failed print, is any way to continue where it failed?

Hi!

i uploaded a Video on Youtube to show a problem in my last print because i couldn’t upload it here.

i suspect that this happened after i lowered the printer speed from 100% to 50% remotely in the android app.

Temp was 210 at generic PLA profile. is there any way to continue the printing where the printer bugged?
and any idea wtf may just happened?

i ussualy change the printer speed on my prusa when moon it’s about to end but prusa let you lower it with more options so i change from 100-95% 95-90% 90-85% and everytime it worked fine for me.

This might help you:

Not sure if you’ll be able to home it with such a large print though. Might need to remove the glass top if you’ve got one.

Only other option is probably to figure out how many layers printed, reslice it to only print the remaining layers, and fuse them together. You can print some additional layers for safety and then block sand the additional layers off until they match up nicely (would have to be a large enough block to sand the entire opening at once so its even). I don’t think any of these options are ideal, as you’re probably going to have a layer shift that’s pretty apparent no matter what.

1 Like

Yeah there is one thing I miss on the P1p that I had on my previous printer. The old printer would display the Layer number currently printing. And keep it there after it failed. I once had a failure on a big print, but I was able to use that value to slice a new piece to starting from that layer and print just the top part of the print.

1 Like

As far as i can see at 6:11 the filament stops feeding as the spool stops rotating. Can be a tangled or broken filament or a problem with the extruder or some of this sort …

1 Like

i didn’t noticed that. filament stopped moving and extruder continue operating.
this is strange, and never happened in any other printer

Got a similar prob few days ago, this is why it was soon obvious to me … had a network cable (sic!) hindering the filament spool a bit so the filament was squeezed into the spool and it finally got stuck. But your problem may, of course, have another root cause.

They have that in the firmware for the X1C, I imagine it will be coming in the next revision of the P1P firmware.

I managed to resume a print that failed but ran into another problem. After editing the gcode as described by the video Matt linked, my P1P picked up the print at the correct location/height.

I thought everything was successful until I noticed that no filament was being extruded. I can’t figure out what went wrong, but I’d really like to.

I’m running into this issue as well. Edited the Gcode to pick up where the print left off, but it is not actually extruding any new filament. Does anyone have any suggestions on what Gcode command is needed that might have been cut out?

Have you ensured the nozzle isn’t clogged?

3 Likes

The cause of my particular original issue that caused my print to stop was my nozzle was clogged. However, I pulled it, cleared it, and I have re-loaded filament and can see it extrude just fine now during the loading process.

However when I use the modified Gcode, the printer head moves around to all the right spots but doesn’t actually push out any material. If I re-use most of the original Gcode, like the part that puts down the lines at the front of the plate to be analyzed by the scanner, it works fine. So there is something with the modified Gcode.

What is your process of editing the gcode and loading to the printer?

2 Likes

Gcode exported from a slicing in Bambu Studio. I then edited the Gcode in Notepad following the instructions here: GUIDE: Resuming a failed 3D print — CNC Kitchen

Copy the text file ending in .gcode to the root of a Micro-SD card, ejecting it from my computer, sticking it in the X1C, and then executing the Gcode once it shows up under the file listing on the SD card.

I think I figured out the issue, I was missing the M83 command that instructs the computer to follow the relative exclusions on each G1 instruction line. I added that back in (originally cut it out following the instructions in the link) and now my 2+day print has resumed properly with ~9 hours to go. There is a little bit of a layer shift as I not only had to guess at the line to resume on but the print plate may not be in the exact same position it was in before.

Still a 2 &1/2 day completed print with a layer shift is better than an incomplete print and a waste over over 1/2 roll of filament.

2 Likes

How did you manage the Z axis homing, you simply got rid of the homing command and started the print without homing ?