Failed Print ... unit frozen and unresponsive

Had a 10 hour job freeze ~4 hours in. Hot end kept heating and part fan kept running, but the rest of the unit was frozen. Unresponsive screen, not communicating with Studio or Handy app. Only option was to turn the power off at the switch.

I think the unit might have had an issue due to the camera and its video recording … looking at the video files, the last few entries look like gibberish, but those could have simply been “temporary” files as the video data was being written to the card.

There does not appear to be a way to disable the camera on the P1P. I plan to retry the print w/o camera, and it would be nice to simply disable it, rather than unplug it. It seems that the implementation of the camera on the P1P is still buggy (given the communication error many users report). I plan to physically disconnect the camera when I retry the print this evening. Given how fragile the connection for the camera on the control board seems, I am not too excited about doing this. I really want the print to finish, otherwise I would simply retry the print … but since I think I only have enough filament for one complete print, I’m looking for ways to improve my chances for a successful print.

So too, I had a computer with Studio open and connected to the printer (on the same WiFi), I had also queried the status of the printer with the Handy app a few hours earlier. Perhaps these connections to the printer had something to do with it freezing.

No issues with the power supply to the printer that I am aware of. I don’t know if the P1P is able to recover from a power outage like the X1 is apparently capable of.

This was the largest print, and longest duration print so far. The previous long print (the fan support from Bambu) was just fine, but was a shorter duration print of ~3 hours, where the unit froze on this long project at ~4 hours.

1 Like

Hi,

the Bambo page for the P1P says the following.

“Power Loss Recovery
Worry-free from a power cut-off, you can resume the print from where it left off.”

Maybe check the manual or wiki first to see if there is more info.
In any case, good luck and give us feedback!

I had couple of power outages and clicking the play button on the screen on the p1p resumed the print for me.

Thanks for the feedback, but this wasn’t a power issue (I don’t believe). The unit was frozen (like a software glitch) - it was still on, just not printing (no movement). The nozzle head was still hot (220C) and the part fan on the head was still running. The screen was on, but dimmed, and unresponsive (clicking buttons on the screen did not wake it up).

My only recourse was to cut the power (the toggle switch on the back of the unit). When I turned it back on, clicking the play button did nothing, the printer simply stated it was “Ready to Print” meaning, I either needed to start a project from the card, or send a new project through the cloud from Studio.

Super glad to hear it does have power loss recovery!

I have had the same thing happen … looks like another software glitch.

They released this printer fast. It seems clear that the features and bugs are a work in progress at the moment.

China is having real problems right now, I am sure its impacting Bambu Labs. Considering state of the world they have done some great work…

Question? What is Handy app?

I just purchased my p1s in April 2024 and this bug has not been resolved. Just like you mentioned, my p1s just stalls with the fans and heat running. I cant imagine that this is normal operating procedure for such an expensive device.

Smartphone app to control and monitor Bambu printers:
https://bambulab.com/en/download/app