[feature request] Disable automatic spool unload after print

Hi

When using the AMS, filaments are always automatically unloaded after a print has finished. If you do another print with the same material, this is time consuming and there is also material wasted.

Is there a possibility to disable that? The AMS shall only unload spools if there actually is a material change. If the print has finished, the current spool shall stay loaded. If you choose to print with the same material afterwards, nothing has to be done. If you want another material, then the spool shall be switched.

Regards

19 Likes

I think this is heavily depending on each persons workflow. For me, the current behaviour is just fine, because I switch rolls often. When the printer is idle, I can just open the AMS and take rolls out, no need to unload etc.

Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

I would second this.

The only downsides are
Slower spool changes (And only if you want to change the one which is currently loaded)
A 30s slower print time if you have to change filament at the start of a print.

The upsides are
Less waste
Less mess
a 30s faster print if you don’t have to change filament at the start.

5 Likes

Off course there are different preferences.

For me it just does not make sense to do an action in advance without knowing if it will be needed.

Lets say I do a testprint. If the print is successfull, I will do the actual print. In that case I find it annyoing to see the AMS unloading the filament while knowing that I have to reverse that afterwards, because I won’t change colors.

Please bambu lab, provide a checkbox to allow users to chose themselves!

6 Likes

I would also prefer this to be optional :+1:
The advantages have already been stated. Less waste and and less (unnecessary) reloading.
By making it a checkbox/optional everybody can chose what is correct for them at that time.

5 Likes

I would prefer this request as well. :+1:

4 Likes

I much rather have the option to not unload the filament.

2 Likes

I agree, this 100% needs to be an option that users can select on or off. It’s such a waste of time and filament if you are printing same parts over and over, or multiple parts to an assembly that all need to be the same filament.

2 Likes

Same here. I’d have this on 99% of the time.

2 Likes

Dont’t forgett he little knife which is cutting before unloading

In addition to saving time, this saves equipment resource. Motors spin less, gears rub less, rollers, blade, etc.

I would like to choose myself whether it will unload or not.

2 Likes

plus 1! i also often print lots of things with the same filament and it’s unnecessary wear on the knife and rollers and wasting perfectly good filament.

1 Like

The major downside is that loaded part of filament will absorb moisture. Which depending on filament and for how long it stays like this may cause something in the range from no noticeable change to failed prints and clogged AMS.

2 Likes

Just remove the gcode in the End Gcode file if you don’t want it to unload.

1 Like

The tube going to the print head should be air tight no? If not, not much air should enter?

@leenanj

Which part of the gcode needs to be removed?

Extruder is not airtight, filament buffer or AMS hub on back of the printer is not airtight too. As tubes have open ends air can freely get in, 2.5mm tube inner diameter allows air to freely circulate.

If you do not unload, the inner volume of the tube is filled with the filament?

Yes, the filament remains in the system. This could be usefull if you want to continue with another print with the same filament. The requested feature is not available. What I usually in that case is, I stop the print at the end via the red button at top of the printer. In that case filament remains within the system.

@leenanj KIndly advise or show the gcode as it should look like based on your proposal.

I know that this feature is not available, I‘m the one who did the feature request. My point is that if you would leave the filament inside the tube, only little air would enter.

1 Like

First of all quite a bit of air will enter. Secondly there is a fully exposed part in the middle. In case of nylon and PETG you will have like a meter of garbage filament after a few hours. In case of PVA, it will clog the system. In case of quickly running another print not unloading the filament is useful. However the way how it operates is the safest and with not too much downsides.