Feature Request - Multi-material printing using the AMS and side spool

Just starting to play around with TPU and I understand it can’t work in the AMS which means doing multi material prints with it is very difficult/manual. I would love if a workflow that still enables me to print from the AMS for appropriate filaments but enables me to sideload TPU (or other filaments) manually and have it all sliced neatly for the appropriate filament. Something like below:

• Add a 5th filament to Bambu Slicer
    BambuExample_1
  • Paint the model/set change filament by layer height (eg. PETG from AMS, and then change to side load TPU at layer height x for rest of print, just one filament change)
  • When commencing printing, if use AMS is ticked, and TPU cannot be used in the AMS, have option to select ‘Manual Loads’ which is any other filament not in the AMS that you have added to the project, such that BambuStudio prompt/confirm that at each change the print will be paused, any AMS filament unloaded, and the printer will wait for TPU to be manually loaded, then when loaded, printer purges and continues printing.
    BambuExample_2

This means that all the filament settings are correct, the only thing the user needs to do is load the corresponding filament. No custom G-Code or anything like that. I understand this is not a perfect solution, and would not work well for multiple filament changes, but for one or two changes with TPU would not be too cumbersome. Far less so than currently!

Thanks all

5 Likes

I’d like to see this as well. One would probably need one of those “splitters” to make it easier.

3 Likes

I was surprised that you couldn’t use TPU in the AMS. I also would like to do a multi material print with TPU.

2 Likes

Just remember that, in addition to manually loading the external filament, you will have
to fully pull back the manual filament in order for the AMS to load the next one.

Pulling back manually is acceptable for me.
Just unload filament, pause and call me to change it. Even if I’m forced to not use AMS at all it would satisfy me.
I’ve tried multimaterial without AMS and it just printed all with the first one that was loaded… (there were just 2 colors of PET-G, done only for testing)

I’d love to print RC tires with TPU enforced a bit with PA. Just 2 to 4 narrow lines of PA to prevent “balooning”… like this:

(it’s not mine, screenshot from Crazy RC Tire BallOOning - Slow Motion Study - YouTube)

3 Likes

Yes I would like to do a modify the Gcode with a Pause to charge a new spool before launch a print with the back spool. It seems impossible, no?

I believe you can add a pause command on new layer… I don’t know the one, as I never tried. But it should be as easy as changing temperaturę…
but still… in my case: I need to do this in them middle of layer…

1 Like

How do you do that with a standard slicer? On Gcode? Isn’t boring to find where you must to change the filament?

See Color change | Prusa Knowledge Base (prusa3d.com) - I don’t know if Bambu has its own article on this, but the Prusa one should work.

2 Likes

It’s the M600 Gcode, “pause” and change filament Gcode. We talk about the same thing but with others words :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds easy if you can find the correct place in the middle of a layer that contains 10k+ moves.

1 Like

Lol no it’s too boring :sweat_smile:

Also the TPU don’t have adherance on PLA or PETG, we must make an “autobockage” system…

PETG on PLA too

There is PLA flex (I never use it), I don’t know if their properties are similar to TPU and if it’s possible to use it with AMS, without issues.

1 Like

I just happened to look at this thread again months later. The Bambu pause code is M400 U1, not M600 (used by some other printers).

1 Like

Would like to see this Feature aswell,printing with 2 colors of TPU via external feeding, im helping myselft with Filament end G Code atm and manual loading/unloading, but thats not nice

Your idea of adding a 5th filament to Bambu Slicer sounds interesting. It could provide a solution for handling different materials in a more streamlined manner. For example, you could paint the model or specify a layer height where the filament needs to change (e.g., PETG from AMS and then switching to manually loaded TPU at a specific layer height for the rest of the print). This way, users could have the option to select “Manual Loads” if TPU cannot be used in the AMS. BambuStudio could then prompt the user to confirm each filament change, pausing the print, unloading the AMS filament, and waiting for TPU to be manually loaded. Once loaded, the printer would purge and continue printing.

This approach would simplify the process for users since all the filament settings would be correctly set up, and they would only need to load the corresponding filament without dealing with custom G-Code or complex configurations. While it may not be a perfect solution, I agree that it would be less cumbersome for prints involving one or two TPU filament changes compared to the current workflow.

1 Like

Just got my P1S with AMS, probably third print in I wanted to do a top layer with TPU, so many things I can think of that’d give TPU loads more uses.

Y-splitter was maybe the fourth thing I printed; I feel like many users would already have all the means to use such a feature if added…