Feature request: no more HueForge

MakerWorld is plagued by low effort HueForge uploads (the 2D artwork “prints”), which are exhausting to sift through while trying to browse for interesting 3D models. I realize many people enjoy HueForge, but there are too many users mass uploading HueForge files to try and gain rewards points. The same problem is evident in the Halloween contest.

The artwork is almost always stolen or AI-generated, so there is no effort being provided by those uploading these. It’s basically spamming MakerWorld with jpegs.

I would like to be able to filter my search results to explicitly exclude hueforge uploads. Maybe even do this generically with a filter by model height, and I could just search for things >= 3cm inch thick. I don’t know. I just know I never want to browse through tons of unoriginal 2D prints. I will also be profoundly disappointed if Bambu Lab selects any of those uploads as winners or honorable mentions in the Halloween contest.

12 Likes

I agree, but I dont think you can prohibit people posting these. The way to solve it I think is to upgrade the search function by allowing you to select the categories you search for model in, so that you only get results from these categories. And then also allow you to exclude other categories. Sort of like a whitelist and blacklist system.

3 Likes

I must respectfully disagree. There is a feature baked into every forum software that Bambu merely needs to emulate on Makerworld. That feature is called “Flood Control”. This is a perfect use-case for such a feature.

Here’s how it works. When I used to manage a couple of forums sometime back, we provided recognition for contributors. There was a case where we had a few users who abused the system and would simply do a “me-too” reply to all posts thus artificially driving up their post count. Implementing flood control simply puts in a minimum time or max count per time period of when the user could post. This feature worked marvelously. We set it to a minimum of 5 minutes between posts for the same user and a maximum of 20 posts per day per user and the bad behavior went away while the good behavior was rewarded.

Bambu really needs to address this and quickly. They’ve soured the user community out of the gate on what should have been a “Hey this was a great idea”. This is a classic case of "Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

Perhaps IT would Help to create a sub-category

What is it with 3D printing community users and gatekeeping?
Simple solution; Create a sub category for lithophanes / hueforge designs. Done

4 Likes

I’d love a sub category for lithoplanes! That would be great both for folks looking for them, and for folks looking to avoid them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Disagree mostly this one!

As AiArtist We are here to stay and AIartwork improving wholetime and we updating own datasets making better ones! and hueforge is big thing for Ai Artists who giving or doing these out and want give these prints out for free! Sure AiArtists are fast and prompting is easy but hard to master! but kinda agree this hueforge or anykinda people doing brand prints are like nintendo or disney characters etc. they mostly are under copyright for my knowledge maybe im wrong.

1 Like

WE? I can only ready YOU.

A seperate category would Help to make other Models better findable. Hueforge is Art. Yes. But a flood does Not Help finding other printables. :grin:

100% agree. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Some consider street graffiti art until someone spray paints your local overpass, School house or subway car. Then it becomes simply urban blight.

The issue with any type of expression is that it often triggers the desire for attention in all of us. This can be seen in various situations, like software developers adding unnecessary features just because they think they’re cool or people flooding websites like Thingiverse with their latest creations. In my opinion, it seems like too many people are seeking attention and the easier that tools are to use, the lower the bar will be to created them. The maker community is at risk of becoming overwhelmed by this kind of behavior. And makerworld in particular appears to be appealing to this.

Then you add into that an “enabling” technology such as Generative AI and give it to the masses… well… once a bar is lowered it’s impossible to put it back up. If anyone doubts this, just look back when PowerPoint and Word, made everyone a desktop publisher and look what happened.

On the subject of creating a separate category. Where does one draw the line as to what defines a “category”. I’d be up for a simpler break down, items that are things of expression and items that are designed for function. Then let the artists feed their need to express while those who are trying to get stuff done can find things more easily.

Just my $0.02. :wink:

3 Likes

Naah i spoke myself and with other AIArtists too begause there is many of us here too and will more coming. maybe everyone is not ready for forums yet dont want spoke this. dunno?!
sure AiArt is more floodable fast product thats how it works. more ai artists join platform more our work will come that cannot be dodge or just block. Maybe 2d art “AiArt” own subgategory may help little about flood with other work. not sure what is the best way solve this problem? this is why we community want fix these things out and make this place fun and cool for everyone!

How about a category for all things 2D. Art, line drawing, lithoplanes, solid lithoplanes, 2D keychains, 2D coasters etc etc

1 Like

No, thats what tags are for. We need to be able to exclude or include tags in search results. The site is still in beta so I hope this is something they can add.
Also response to someone else, gatekeeping something just because you dont like it is not valid. Hueforge paintings are clearly popular so get over yourself.

3 Likes

100% agreed. It would solve many Problems

Are they being actually printed? or are they only being published and downloaded? Because both methods would show a different measure of popularity, and my guess is that one is more valuable for the platform and the community than the other.

the “category” is Lithophanes and Hue Forge, whats so hard about that?

It seems Art > “2D Art” is for this.

I suppose your right!

since AI generated stuff is rapidly gaining ground, there could be a category for it? that way it would be easier to avoid it or directly look for it for those interested

Yes, but technically, they are not 2D, that would be someting like drawings. Maybe just Litho&HueForge? Or Flat Designs, or Flat Models? We need a better term here :slight_smile:

AI generated models probably should have its own category so they won’t bury other flat designs done manually. Someday AI will generate more than flat models. In general there is a recognition that AI generated stuff need some guardrails so having them in their own category will make it easer to apply the gurrdrails in the future.

That’s a good idea. We will add a new category and a list of subcategories for these model generating tools.

2 Likes