Filament Buffer Jammed

I just had a few filament load errors (AMS on X1C). When I did a retry and observed the back of the printer I could see that the AMS could not push the filament past the entrance to the buffer, so I did another retry while manually holding the PTFE tube so that it was straight as it went into the buffer, as opposed the slight curve that it had before. It loaded fine after I straightened the PTFE tube. Now I have some blue painters tape holding the PTFE straight as it goes into the buffer, so we will see how it goes.

There are a plethora (my word of the day, ,thank you for letting me use it) of models on makersworld that will hold your PTFE tube inline if you’re interested.

If you’re going to use “Plethora” to mean “a lot”, you should be prepared to use “Paucity” for “a little”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am often called portly, it sounds similar, but the wrong end of the spectrum.

1 Like

Thanks John. Printing K2_Kevin’s now while contemplating plethora and paucity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My problem isn’t the same, but I can’t create a new post, and it seems close enough.
I’ve got filament SUNLU Matte PLA Filament 1.75mm jammed in AMS Slot 1. After inserting the filament, it worked fine for one print, and now the LED status is red. I can see the motor shaft or gear rotating, but the filament cannot be successfully loaded or unloaded.

I dismantled and cleaned the AMS internal hub unit, but there was no filament inside. The issue seems to be with the slot itself.

I made a support ticket, but no answer yet. And I’m out of ideas.

@ColorPopCrafts - until you have a track record and trust level here you won’t be able to post new threads. It’s unfortunately necessary to keep spammers at bay.

Not much to go on but there are at least a couple of things that might cause your issue. One is check that the rollers the spool sits on in the AMS are fully seated. Some have had issues (for whatever reason seems more with slot 2) with those rollers not being fully seated and it affecting pullbacks.

The other thing I’m aware of are broken off bits of filament stick in the AMS tubing. The filament feed mechanism grips the filament to feed it but that also embosses cracks and failure points into the filament. Normally it’s not a problem if the filament is still supple and pliable. As the filament absorbs water, though, it can get brittle and can fracture.

In my own case I had a couple of short pieces of filament break in the combiner/odometer section in the bottom of the AMS. There are how-to steps in the Bambu Wiki on getting access to the combiner/odometer area and very much recommended to check first but it’s pretty easy to access that area. But see the Wiki - it explains removing the Bowden teflon tube coming out the back, etc.

If you have to open the AMS guts, be especially careful of two small cables that run from the AMS guts to the connector circuit board on the back of the AMS. The connectors are small and a bit delicate and the wires are just barely long enough. Be careful with them since they are delicate.

But once you get the guts out and free you can turn it over and you’ll see the 4-into-1 assembly and the tubes. Then it’s easy to disconnect tubes and see what falls out.

Also, if you have to open the 4-to-1 thing itself, be careful. There’s bits that can come out that have to be put back properly. I didn’t need to do that in my case but again, see the Wiki.

Maybe your issue is different but I was able to clean the broken filament out of my AMS in just a few minutes. Good luck!

So it won’t come out of the AMS?
Sounds like a piece of filament somewhere in the path, or the spool isn’t sitting correctly on the rollers (or something could be preventing the spool from rotating) or the filament has crossed over itself and it “tangled” on the spool.