Filament stuck onto nozzle

My P1S was fine when I first got it, but then things went downhill fast. After the purging the wiper should cut off the filament. However during the purging process some filament can curl upward and stick to the nozzle. The wiper is ineffective because it can’t reach the filament stuck there. The purge line might take some of the poop off but most of the time the stuck poop gets dragged all the way to the start of the print where it gets deposited at the first layer, creating an ugly lump.

This has happened to all of my FDM printers. However I don’t see a lot of people having the same problem. Just want to know if there’s a solution.

Yes, others also have these problems. One culprit is a dirty nozzle. Clean the nozzle from time to time, from the outside with a brush when the nozzle is warm. With a damp cloth when the nozzle is warm. Warm so that the filament is soft and you can get it down. There are also cleaning filaments that you can send through once for rinsing. There are also cleaning filaments with solvent that should be left to work for a few hours (also just filament sticks). Another cause could be damp filament, moisture causes uneven extrusion. Once the nozzle goes over the wiper, it can then stick your filament to the nozzle. The filament must emerge from the nozzle as an even strand, it must not curl.

If you do not get this completely under control, it can happen that the filament residue from the nozzle settles on the print object during printing and causes faults due to the lumps there. In this case, place a small object (1 mm high and 1 to 2 cm in diameter) next to it, as near as possible from the rear wall of the printer (if you still have space) and print “by object” instead of “by layer”. This small sacrificial object / cleaning object helps with the deposition of filament residues. Just make sure that it is printed first, i.e. above the main object in the hierarchy of objects.

Best regards!

1 Like

Thanks. I was just thinking if I could find a better wiper and a better Gcode. What the wiper really does is to move the filament up and let it stick. Also it only wipes from the sides so there are filament at the back and front untouched. Probably a brush like the voron ones should do better?

It is impossible to say whether it works better. I even tried my own modification a long time ago by using a ballpoint pen feather. I partially achieved what I wanted by getting the filament to stick in the nib. But metal nozzle on metal wiper is not so good, the nozzle should remain as undamaged as possible. That’s why I dismantled it again. Also because there was no advantage.

I’ve just had the same phenomenon again with PETG. The pressure does not adhere and the nozzle is not wiped clean. I dried the PETG for 30 minutes at 65 to 70°C in the oven with circulating air. Now it works again, even the first stripping was absolutely flawless.

somę people use A1 mini wiper. maybe it is better? I also was thinking about this mod.

2 Likes

Und? Wie funktioniert er?

problem might be solved with this… but I’m unsure if it will do too well.

I have a solution that works well in my head, but I have to build it first.