First Benchy printed with Bambu Lab X1 & CHT Nozzle

It can be impressive if you do not do a lot of DIY but believe me that’s really easy, just require to follow carefully the video tutorial

Why isn’t bambu selling this already? It almost reduces print time 30% with same quality. What about larger layer heights? Do they make a 0.8mm cht nozzle?

is this the complete hotend?

I am trying to see if PC FR can do 35mm³/s. Does anything go faster than 35? PLA?

interesting test but seems unnecessary. X1C is great because it doesnt need to be modified… it just works. if you wanna tinker get a voron / Ender 3

2 Likes

While it is (nearly) true for 0.4mm nozzle, it is absolutly false for bigger nozzle (0.6, 0.8), Unfortunatly Bambulab printer capabilities falldown rapidly when using such nozzles. I suppose they was in hurry and they didn’t really care about it when they start their selling.

I am convinced that they will come with higher flow rate hotend in the futur. But untill that you have to rely on those hotend clones from aliexpress. After all this is only the Bambulab V1

I am trying to see if PC FR can do 35mm³/s. Does anything go faster than 35? PLA?

Well if you use 0.8mm nozzle to make big prototype parts with 0.4/0.5 layer height, you will rapidly reach 35mm³ even at lower speeds.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they have more than a couple tricks up their sleeves that will make us go “Oooo! I need that”. LOL They don’t seem like they sit on their hands much, looking at their backgrounds.

How’s the new CHT nozzle setup working out? Done anything big with it?

I rarely print very big parts, but I have printed a lots of functional/tools parts and everything goes very well always using the same custom 0.28 layer height profile with all infill/inner related thing set to 350mm/s, not a revolution, just save a bit of time.

3 Likes

nothing that can contribute to optimization and further improvement is unnecessary. one is satisfied with a stock product and the other wants to improve it.

With this attitude we would have stopped at the first printers …

4 Likes

Well if you use 0.8mm nozzle to make big prototype parts with 0.4/0.5 layer height, you will rapidly reach 35mm³ even at lower speeds.

Is it necessary to buy a non bambu hot end then? Better to buy bambu as the profiles will be pre-installed. If the bambu 0.8mm nozzle printing at 0.4mm then will hit 35mm3 maximum at low speeds?

No, absolutly no, it is not necessary, you will just get less benefit of the bambulab speed, but this will works (unless you set too high your filament max volumetric flow, the printer will slow down to avoid printing with a too high flow, so no problem it will work).

1 Like

the speed issue is for smaller layer heights correct? Not if I am using largest?

There is no issue, this is just a matter of speed performance, bambulab printer can use its full speed capabilities when you print using 0.2 or lower layer height, because it does not require to melt a lot of plastic/second even when printing very fast.

Once you start to use higher layer height, it have to melt more plastic more quickly and it have to lower its speed because the nozzle cant handle high flow.

3 Likes

You can see it by looking at the speed tab for all predefined Bambu Lab profiles, you will see that each time the layer get thicker they lower the speeds. With a CHT nozzle you dont have to lower the speeds.

2 Likes

Why wont you have to lower speeds with CHT nozzle? Wont it hit 35mm3/s faster with larger layer heights?

1 Like

Bontech are kind enought to offer an online calculator, here are all your answers :wink:

EDIT:
To give you a complete answer and in case of you wonder why I dont go over 35mm³/s (because it is possible with CHT nozzle), this is because it is a lot of plastic to cool down (and Bambu Lab is also limited in this way) and also because not all filament are able to melt and solidify fastly enougt. 35mm³/s is reliable, I dont want/need to push the limits more.

3 Likes

Nice chart! Thanks for sharing, I hadn’t seen this one. :smiley:

I would add that another limit that’s a physical practicality is that many large layer / big nozzle prints are done with engineering plastics, which generally run high temps. That means you get real problems with cooling causing multiple issues when you try to lay down that much plastic that fast.

The volumetric flow is only one issue, so all the fancy nozzles and hurry-hurry thinking will run into real physical limitations that must be accounted for. CHT is a nice upgrade for sure, but not some lightning in a bottle.

Fast is fine and I think we all love faster prints but as @DzzD points out, you can only go so fast, period. BL has moved that marker forward but there are other limits.

2 Likes

@DzzD Hi, received the package as well and have done the assembly. Will put on printer tomorrow morning. ONe small question: When you change the nozzle, how much force do I have to use ? Usually, they say something like 1.6 NEwtonmeter, but here ? May be just a little ?

1 Like

Sorry I can’t help that much because I had always done this without measurement tool, but let say you dont need to tight it with a lot of force. Just screw it without any force and at the end when it touch and you feel that forcing is required just add a little force with your key, I mean it is not a screew in wood so when you need to have to force you wont go more far, it is only require to be lock “a little”.

(also, maybe it is obvious but it is better to say it anyway, if you change it later, think to make it with nozzle hot)

Maybe someone using a key with newton measure will give you a better answer.

EDIT: let us know about your print results :slight_smile:

If you sprung for the CHT Bimetal nozzle it is 0.5-0.8nm tightened while hot (260+ C).
They got a 3D printable torque wrench here:

For non-cht nozzles you probably can use more force.

1 Like

Great. Thanks. Much appreciated

1 Like

Are you using Bondtech or a clone ? (Because original Bondtech will introduce more issues : height, cooling)

I have ordered a CHT clone via Ali… awating delivery. Sofar this setup performs really nice. I can even print PETG without problems now. Seemed difficult with the regular hotmnd. Testing further…

1 Like