Full Non-Cloud Based Network Option Needed NOW!

When I try to “send to sd card” I get the error message “The printer does not support sending to the SD card”. If this is one of the ways you made the P:1Ps cheaper, you can have it back. I should not have to go to the printer, get the sd card, put it in my pc, download the print, take it out, walk back to the printer, reinstall it, and navigate one push at a time to find the file to print it.

Make sure you are on the same network as the printer to send to sd card.

1 Like

You have to select it on the printer under the networks settings.

1 Like

Same network, same access point!

No options under network settings on printer.

If you have a P1P LAN Only mode is not available.

1 Like

Hello, got the P1P and a DSL Lite 1000mbit connection in Germany.

Unfortunately, it is a disaster to get the print file via cloud on the P1P.
Takes up to 5min until the file is at P1P.
Unfortunately, there are still many places in Germany that have a slow DSL connection.
Please Local Connect for upload Print File to P1P.

Prio High

2 Likes

One guy, i think in this forum, said that he has a firmware with working sd-card-sending. He mentioned a firmware something like 1.3…
So i think soon there will be on the P1P.

Had I known this, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with it. It was working fine until the update and now there are stringy prints, cloud issues, and the only way I can print anything is to pull out the sd card to load on my pc. If this isn’t getting fixed in the next update I’ll probably ditch this thing.

Moin, I am also located in Germany and use a 1000 Mbit line. My P1P is connected to my 2.4 Ghz WLan. 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks have separate names for me. I can NOT confirm that the cloud service would have problems.

My files go to the P1P via the cloud almost as fast as before via LAN and Octoprint to my Ender3. The P1P takes longer to unpack the files than to transfer them.

But in one I can understand you, it is incomprehensible why one should send a file over a cloud if the printer in the room next door is in the WLAN.

And the Wlan of the P1P is not really the best in my opinion. Why he can not communicate with 5Ghz I also not understandable to me, there was just like the camera saved at the wrong end. Since I would have loved the printer would be 30 dollars more expensive and would have the same processor, camera as the X1 and 5Ghz Wlan.

1 Like

This sounds like your development team has committed the mortal sin of letting the marketing department determine the feature set, which is something that I have seen kill many companies. I just bought a Bambu X1 Carbon Combo, and I was EXTREMELY disappointed to learn that it operates through the “cloud” (someone else’s computer). There was no warning or disclaimer that this would be the case, as there should have been. This is a major breach of ethics. There is literally no reason for this, since in order to run the printer, one MUST be physically present to remove finished prints and re-prep the build plate. It is not possible to continually operate the printer remotely. I would MUCH rather just have a USB cable to my computer, like my previous printers had, which is what I had expected.

2 Likes
  1. No clue why youre replying to me as if i have anything to do with bambu and their software, i’m explaining the technical details as someone who designs and builds cloud based infrastructure

2. And i quote:

I was EXTREMELY disappointed to learn that it operates through the “cloud” (someone else’s computer). There was no warning or disclaimer that this would be the case, as there should have been.

I have some really bad news for you in this regard. Nearly everything is… as you call it “cloud based” and running on “someone else’s computer”. Including this forum. gasp your phone, your banking website, your apps, messaging systems. Nothing you operate is exposed directly to the internet and it has to proxy though… “the cloud” as you call it. Nothing new, nothing crazy, just business as usual in the IoT world.

1. You can enable local network only mode, big bad cloud wont get you anymore. It disables that functionality. Read the documents.

2. This is a major breach of ethics

???

You clearly dont understand “cloud computing”. At all; what it is, what it means, what it does. Nadda. Which is fine, 99.9% of the population does not. The problem is that you think you do and are very loud about it. I suggest you take a step back and re-evaluate your knowledge on the subject before jumping to absurd conclusions.

1 Like

You said “I deisgn and build cloud infrastructure, maybe i can chime in and answer some technical questions…”

I did mistakenly read this as “I design and build the cloud infrastructure, maybe I can chime in and answer some technical questions…”, meaning that you worked for Bambu. For that I apologize.

I run a machining company. My CAD software does not run in the cloud. My CAM software does not run in the cloud. I specifically choose production software that runs on MY hardware, under MY control, so that I will not be beholden to a corporate overlord and whatever terms they may decide to “renegotiate”. I have seen cloud hurt a lot of people and businesses; it’s almost always a greedy, rent-seeking power play.

If online banking runs on the bank’s servers, that’s okay, it’s the bank that I’m doing business with, and it’s the bank’s responsibility if something screws up. But my production infrastructure should never leave my walls, nor does it have any reason to that would benefit me.

1 Like

I dont blam Bambulab for now because I have no time to waste for this :slight_smile: but I do understand that in a professional production environment it can be a major concern.

Even in a personal network, having a black box that have access to the LAN and the WAN is never a good idea, and requiere some network work to be done, at least to isolate a minimum the printer from the rest of the network.

Does everyone already forgot who is ? and why “Edwar Snowden” is a fugitive ?

(As a side note, this is curently a major concern of european governments, wich are working on building national/european clouds/datacenter based for all public services.)

Each IOT you have plugged onto your personal LAN wich use the WAN, a closed source proprietary application, is for sure a potential back door to your all network and datas.

You never know the securicy policy of the compagnies on their application/firmware/network, maybe the bambulab firmware or application have a lot of security holes and can be hacked by third party people.

The problem is always the same, where to set the cursor between ease of use and security. But more important, how to protect people that have no knowledge on those subject.

Well, to conclude this is already fair from bambulab to have added a LAN only mode. It will be even more fair to give all basic features.

<I posted the following in another thread, but this one seems more suited - sorry for the duplicate>

I’ve got my P1P a few days ago only, so this post is a first impression one…

Yes the P1P is really good as a printer, and I don’t regret having bought it
The cloud-only aspect is bothering me:

as a general principle when it can be avoided
for efficiency reason, as the WAN/Cloud service can become painfully slow and has very little added value for basic file transfer to the printer or such
for sustainability as many other cloud-based services have become obsolete or the company is no longer in operation, leaving the user stranded in nowhere

I certainly will experiment with the alernate methods described in the forums to access more directly the P1P, but Bambulab should really use a LAN-based service for basic functions, and only offer acces to the cloud at the user request for updates, or to enable ‘Handy’ (a nice but really not mandatory application) or SMS print status notifications.
An added bonus could be to fetch and cache locally on the computer the firmware updates and have the P1P access them on the LAN

IMO it is a very simple change of focus that would benefit everybody, Bambulab included, as the cloud traffic will ultimately decrease…

PS I’m not that concerned by the secrecy issue for Cloud services (I’m a user of Fusion 360) as it is personal work (from bathroom or small lathe improvements to nephew xmas gifts), but it is certainly not the case of professional users with strict IT security policies…

I think there’s a misconception, or maybe I have a misconception, about the way the video works from the cloud. I was under the impression that it acted like other remote delivery services or VPN’s that we use where the remote coordinator establishes a direct connection between the two remote devices (in this case, your printer on the local network, and the Handy app on your phone) without the two having to know anything identifying about each other.

For the print service, I suspect it is going to a Bambu server somewhere, and then being sent down to the machine, but the Bambu machine is probably making the call to the server, and they’re performing all the retrieval calls from the printer on the local network. I see this in use all the time to prevent having to open anything up on the local network - a device makes a periodic call to a remote server, and any action data is sent back in the response packet to the original request.

Interesting discussion on why cloud/no cloud (will concede all are network experts). It would be interesting to hear bambu’s logic on why the printer needs to connect to server in china (excluding firmware update) to function. Seems like a poor model for scaling the business. Eventually competitor will copy what they have done and most likely offer with USB connection as that will be cheaper.

I know this is an older thread but there are work arounds for using lan only and a separate “cloud” service like chrome remote desktop.

1 Like

[Full Non-Cloud Based Network Option Needed]

After turning on Lan Only & Live View do I need to turn printer on/off ?

You don’t need to restart the printer for LAN to be active, if that’s what you mean

1 Like