Full Non-Cloud Based Network Option Needed NOW!

No reason not to have the best of both worlds. If the app is able to establish a LAN connection to the printer it should go local so it’s fast, then if it’s not able to then go cloud.

Both app and device could then lazily send any debug data to cloud.

Best UX would be instant file sends.

I’m considering investing in this printer, but I can’t get a clear answer:
Is it possible to operate the printer entirely in offline mode (without the need for occasional cloud reconnection)?
I understand that the smartphone app isn’t functional, but that doesn’t bother me too much. Is the camera functional in local mode? What features are no longer available in local mode?
Thanks for your help :grinning: !

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

First unbox and boot requires internet for initial setup and firmware update. After which time you can go completely offline and never touch cloud again.
There is SD card only or
Lan only which has camera, starting, stopping, pausing prints. Full XYZ controls, extrude, retract filament. AMS controls, unload/load filament. Heating, cooling(fans) controls. Lidar and flow calibrations are available.

Not available
Push notifications
.spaghetti detection
Syncing profiles across machines and devices
Makerworld printing from cell phone is unavailable.

You can use object exclusion from the touch screen. Not the slicer yet. Normally you can do screen and bambu handy app.

You can theoretically still control the printer remotely if you control a local PC with bambu studio/orca slicer installed. See my previous post.

Obviously most of the high end features like exclude object and lidar are for the X1C and X1E

4 Likes

What we need is a hybrid approach that allows cloud support, but utilizes LAN when available. This would allow app/internet support while on-the-go, work fine within the LAN while offline, and provide all the benefits of LAN-only mode with none of the downside.

Many devices work this way, internet fallback with direct connection while on LAN.

Why on earth are my files being uploaded to some server, bound by my ISP upload speed, then downloaded by my printer, bound by my ISP download speed, when they’re connected via gigabit.

Every time I see the file uploading to the cloud I think of this thread!

1 Like

I understand that this printer is targeted at the home user. The issue I have is I have this printer in a university environment, and because of our regulations, I can’t connect this to our wifi (and therefore can’t connect to the internet either). Because of that, I don’t have the handy app working either (although I am going to try to make a hotspot temporarily with my phone to see if I can get the handy app working). So I am left with the LCD screen interface and SD card. I have the AMS installed, but it seems I can’t select different filament spools with the interface. The documentation is non-existent for the LCD interface, and I can’t even find anyone posting the menu structure on the internet, so I am using guessing and trial and error to learn the menus. All this to say, I would actually pay $100 more to get a usb port on this printer that I could connect to a computer and control this printer directly. I don’t need to watch it while I am out of town :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I’m unsure if you have a P/X/A series printer? If you have any question about the user interface there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgably people on this forum that you can lean on.

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a P1S printer with an AMS attached. I shouldn’t ask questions before doing some homework. I will try what I said in my post to see if I can get the Bambu Handy app working. As I learn more, I will revisit to ask better questions. Mostly I wanted to chime in that a USB interface would be a most welcome option.

yes cloud based printing it old and need to be removed so we can print without it what if bambu lab go bust we will not be able to print remotley anymore com one bambu lab remoce the cloud base printing

1 Like

If you take the time to read the thread you will find that Bambu printers can be used entirely outside of the “cloud”.

3 Likes

I stopped using Bambi studio and Bambi handy.
Instead I downloaded Orca Slicer. I enabled LAN only mode on my P1S Combo. Everything works except Handy app on smart phone. I can view the camera and print what I want without cloud spying. I use FTP program to log into the sd card on the printer. I use Chrome remote on a pc and my smart phone to monitor the printer camera with my smart phone to get around all the privacy issues associated with this company.

Yes you can operate in LAN mode but the camera is ■■■■. You won’t get good fluid live streaming to watch your print it will be herky jerky. I get around this goofy camera by using a raspberry Pi-5 connected to a decent usb camera for live stream monitoring of my prints. Why they put such a horrible camera in this printer is strange.

Here is also a nice work around for the goofy camera in the P1S. This camera also has an sd card slot and this guy has a downloadable print on makerworld to hold the camera.
Here’s his link: