Guide: Workflow for Multi-settings within a single object

Bit of background: I design and print a lot of objects which require different settings based on layer heights (factored in during design). Coming from PrusaSlicer, my get-to-go tool for that was ‘Height-Range-Modifier’. This option isn’t available in Bambu Studio (as well as in its Softfever-fork). But we can ‘cut’ the model and have different settings available for the cut sub-parts. This brought me to the point that I adapted my design workflow even further. And – in my opinion – it provides a smoother workflow experience which I want to share. This guide is more aimed to beginners, but maybe there is something for more experienced designers as well in it :blush:

Part I: Setup of the model in Fusion 360:

The benefit of Fusion360 (and maybe other CAD programs such as OnShape, but I’m only familiar with this one) is that you are far more granular with the output of cutting/creating subparts (not only cutting through straight planes).

Be sure to have everything within one component. In case the object is imported or you designed it without being already part of a component, right-click on the body and choose → “Create Component from Body”.
Next, cut the object into the different sub-bodies using different tools like split, combine, extrusion etc (there are a lot of tuts out there). In the end, it could look something like this:

I rename the bodies already in a way that displays the setting I’m aiming for. Once the model is prepared, create the ‘3d printer’-file.

Select the previous component (in the example below it is ‘CoalTray). For Format select ‘3mf’ – this reduces the file size by a lot and conserves the different bodies and their names.

Part II: WorkFlow Bambu Studio
A) The easiest way to load – drop the created 3mf-File on the print plate. As this contains several sub-objects, BS will ask you if it should be loaded as a single object having multiple parts. Answer with yes, and it should keep its designed relative positions.

B) If you have several STL-files which should be positioned in their respective places, the easiest way to achieve it is to select all required STL-files in the browser and drop them on the plate. BS will again ask it if it should be imported as a single object with multiple parts.

C) In case you have only a single STL-File available and you want change settings for different parts of the object, the CUT-Tool is your friend.

Set the height and ‘important’, check the ‘cut to parts’. In that way the object will be kept intact (and not all of them are dropped to the buildplate).

Having the model prepared in the above way, you can switch to the ‘objects’ tab and change settings for the individual sub-objects. Please note: Currently not all options from the global process are available (e.g. layer-height) and not all functionality from other slicers maybe are implemented.

But I hope at least this helps for an improved workflow. I even have started to use it for PrusaSlicer as I can transport far easier information when sharing projects.
Open for suggestions and critics :blush: If you find this guide helpful, a like would be nice as well :blush:

5 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for this, I was running into this error tonight and I’m stumped! Hoping this write up gets me to a nice final product!

Nice little tutorial!

In OnShape one can have multiple “parts” in one Part Studio. I export the entire Part Studio (right click on the tab and select export) as STEP and add that to a plate in Bambu Studio (too many “Studios”!), selecting not to break it up (same dialog as shown in the tutorial). It’s easy to delete any parts one doesn’t want to print. And then everything is just like in the tutorial.

(It’s also possible to select multiple parts and export those, I forget whether that results in the same thing, I believe so.)