H2D print quality is horrible

New H2D. I am so frustrated.

This is not needing to dry the ABS filament. I am using the exact NEW Bambu Labs abs filaments between an X1C and a new H2D. I have even moved the filaments from one printer to the other. The surface and walls on the H2D are garbage just as pictured while the X1C is perfection.

This is nonsense.

I would like to see the comparison to the X1C.

My guess is that is is an issue with flow rates. The X1 uses its lidar to automatically calibrate. The h2d uses a hall sensor which is less accurate.

Someone is going to jump in with “dry your filament” or “how are you drying your filament”, but that is most likely not it unless you live with SpongeBob.

Here it is in the X1C while printing and side by side after.

Also, I have eliminated the “dry your filament guidance”. I have switched filaments from one printer to the other, and the result is consistent. Anytime the same ABS filament is used in the H2D this is the result. I can put the exact same spool in the X1C and it prints fine. Additionally this is fresh new ABS filament taken out of the package and put into the AMS / AMS 2 Pro.

Ok. I am still guessing this is a flow rate issue and the pressure advance (because of how bad your seams are).

I would run a calibration on this filament then run a benchy.

The PTFE tubing from my AMS2 is about 3 feet long. Perhaps this is contributing to this result?

ABS is a bit of a water magnet though. And fresh from the shipping box and bag is no guarantee of dryness. How long did it sit in the AMS2 before you started to print from it? Also, max temp on the AMS2 is 65C. ABS is recommended to dry at 70-80C by filamenthub (edited - the 90-100C is what Bambu recommends for bed temp if using their wiki method with a printer heated bed). 65C is going to be less effective at drying ABS and may require longer periods to dry at 65C.

Also, I wouldn’t expect identical prints or filament behavior on two very different printers.

I will 100% actively dry the filament in an oven for a while and report back with the result. I have never dried a roll of ABS in the 2 years I have been printing with it (but this is the first time I have used a different color ABS *Silver* and the first time I have printed ABS in the H2D). I have only ever used Bambu Labs Navy Blue ABS in the X1C.

100% actively dry? Not sure what that means.

Anyway, if you don’t believe it’s water then why dry further?

I was just mentioning something to keep in mind if all the other suggestions you’ll no doubt get don’t fix things.

This right here - you have random seams turned on, but also you appear to have scarf seams enabled as well. That combination of settings produces exactly those zits.

To be fair to you, Studio really doesn’t make the settings set intuitive, they really need to auto-set the related settings as soon as Random is chosen, similar to how support interfaces get auto-set to the correct settings as soon as an interface material is chosen.

The wiki article goes into depth on this:

Carbon - even on the infill?

Those bumps everywhere are pretty wild but haven’t seen water cause that regular of irregular defects.

And those bumps should also show in the preview if seams are turned on to visualize?

It means I will take the initiative to take action and dry the filament even if I may doubt moisture as the cause. There is always a chance. When I start to consider the hotter environment of the H2D, perhaps the same moisture content reacts differently between the two printers.

Thank you for the reference. I will confirm this and test.

The good news is, it’s just a poop chute I’m printing, so for now the aesthetics is irrelevant. I’m hoping to have this figured out before resuming normal jobs.

Seeing as there is a write up on this issue being caused by that combination of settings, it’s disappointing that studio doesn’t adjust accordingly when a profile is selected in combination to a filament type.

In comparison, no it is not.

When you measure it by Equilibrium Saturation, ABS and ASA are only slightly more hydroscopic than PLA.

Considering the print on the X1C is not showing any defects, I would rule that out as a cause. Never hurts to dry new filament, it can just be a waste of time.

Is it safe to assume that you are using the basic filament and print profile settings? Or have you done anything custom to it?

No customized settings, fully updated studio, Bambu branded filament.

OK - but you have random seams turned on. That’s not a default print profile setting.

But do you see the seams at those same locations in preview mode in Studio? That will tell you right there. Just make sure the check is selected to display the seams.

I just checked. Seam position is aligned. Again, I’m using the default 0.24 Standard @BBL H2D profile. Verifying in preview, seam position is not random.

I will also add that layer adhesion is very poor as well. I can easily tear the layers apart. I think I just need to bake the filament and update this post.