Has anyone printed in ABS?

Has anyone been able to print in ABS with the A1 mini? Is it even possible to make an enclosure to print in ABS? Could you somehow print in ABS without an enclosure? Also if you have can you give a picture of your printed object and the settings for it.

1 Like

Try to use draft shield or tall skirt.

1 Like

Read this:

Do not waste your time , i tried it on other printers with out enclosure and is doable but next to impossible for reliable and good layer adhesion without warping , think of how to make simple encloser and possibly heat it , or most cases heat bed is enough . Check quite a few forums with ABS/ASA printing for X1`C and P1S you will see the challenges

I have tested the Easy ABS from Sunlu on my A1 mini and it seems to work fine… printed at 235C and heat bed 80C, no enclosure, at room temperature 25C. Upscaling 100,5%

I could not see any warping and it sticks fine on the textured build plate, without glue. There are also some drawbacks with the Sunlu Easy ABS, all explained in a video on youtube (search for Sunlu Easy ABS)

Here are some pictures from my first attempt

1 Like

Thanks. That turn out pretty well. Have you tried the bambu lab or just sunlu?

I have tested only the sunlu easy ABS on the A1 mini so far. It has some better mechanical properties than PETG and can be smoothed with acetone. Low HDT ist the biggest drawback.

I have experienced how challenging normal ABS can be even for enclosed 3D printers. So IMO there is almost no chance to print “normal” ABS with the A1 mini.

But there are some other “easy” ABS variants that seem to be interesting, e.g. easy ABS from fiberlogy… The manufacturer claims that it doesn’t need closed chamber, but it requires slightly higher build plate temperature (90…100°C). Maybe it works with glue…

I have printed two samples with the transparent Easy ABS from Fiberlogy, that I mentioned in my last post.
I used a glue stick for the build plate to make sure it was not warping up.
My settings: bed temperature 80°C, nozzle 255°C at 23°C room temperature. I have slowed down the print speeds. It took about 3h for each sample to print.

The first sample is a simple box (70x70x40mm) printed on the smooth plate.

The warping on the front left corner is negligible

The second one was printed on the textured plate (+glue).

I could not see any warping at all.
The material is not really transparent, it’s translucent … but looks nice.

You can also check the datasheet from Fiberlogy Easy ABS for more informations.

IMO the results are looking good, so it is possible to print some ABS filaments on the A1 mini, without enclosure.

1 Like

Great result one note on easyABS, try to heat it. so no good for anything which requires a bit more heat it is worse than PETG and not far from most PLAs

1 Like

That’s right, the Sunlu easy ABS has a low HDT, lower than PETG

Fiberlogy Easy ABS is much better!

1 Like