Help printing with multiple colors

I have around 400 hours on my x1c but I have not done many multi-color prints yet. I have been trying to use eSUN Bone white pla and Sunlu matte black pla for a ghost model and this is the result I am getting.

I has the same results on a different model using the same filament. Once black is used the color turns to grey. I do not have grey filament loaded in the AMS. How can I troubleshoot or fix this?

You need to adjust the purge volume of the black filament. Going from a dark colour to a light colour requires a lot of purging. Click on the “Flushing Volumes” button in Bumbu Studio, it’s above the Filament settings.

4 Likes

Testing now, that definitely seems to be the issue, I’ll post back the results, thank for responding!

Here is what I changed

The default purge settings were:

So from Black to white has a purge value of 346 but from white to black, 515.

I then selected Auto-Calc and this is the result

I then cut the model so it would begin printing the trouble area ASAP.

While that is printing I can’t help but think this is an area for improvement. A camera/sensor detect when color bleed is happening and adjust/warn.

I’m hoping auto does well so I don’t have to adjust - test print - adjust - test print etc.

1 Like

That is a neat idea but I “think” that the flush volumes are set by the slicer in gcode and are not a dynamic variable the machine can currently change. Good idea for a future improvement.

4 Likes

The issue has been resolved. I selected the flushing options and selected auto-calc. In my few prints since all of the colors have purged correctly, so it appears that auto-calc is working well.
I think for ALL multi-color prints you must go into this setting and select auto otherwise the default is not sufficient.

Man this should be a PSA. Printed my first lengthy multicolor last night… 7+ hours. Same issue,

Question. When you use non Bambu pla does it still calculate the values accurately when you manually select colors?