HMS_0500_0300_0001_0002 error

I can suddenly no longer print due to the error message above, which is: HMS_0500_0300_0001_0002: The toolhead is malfunctioning. Please restart the device. | Bambu Lab Wiki ("“The toolhead is malfunctioning. Please restart the device”).

Has anyone had any experience with this error code? The P1P is only a couple of months old. Can’t believe that it would need service.

I tried restarting several times and reseating all of the plugs in the toolhead to no avail but, other than that, I can’t think of what else to do.

In case it matters, I was previously trying to recover from a clog after using wood-filled PLA. I was using the needle to push up through the nozzle and, at some point, the printer got to the point where it claimed that it could no longer heat up the hot end due to the above error.

2 Likes

I replaced the nozzle with a hardened steel nozzle and I had the same error today. I unplugged all the little cables and replugged everything back, which seems to have cleared it, but not really sure what happened.

Anyone from @BambuLab?

That’s interesting. I actually fixed the issue by replacing the extruder with the hardened steel version + hardened steel nozzle.

Sorry, if my english is not so correct, I’m from germany.

Hello, same error here after replacing the extruder wheels with the hardened parts and installing a hardened steel nozzle.
After the error I unplugged and replugged all the cables three times. Error is still there.
After that I replaced the old steel nozzle but the error is still there.

I think there ist something wrong with the board…

I will give an answer:
ILater in the evening I completely dismantled the printhead and reassembled it. I noticed that a connector of the connecting cable between the two boards was not properly inserted. After this was fixed, the printer was back on track.

Therefore, the note, take care of the connectors when you exchange the mount or anything else on the head. Save some pearls of sweat…

I’m having the same problem since I bought the printer. It worries for few minutes and it stopped working with the error HMS_ERROR_0500_0300_0001_0002.
I replaced the toolhead board, the toolhead cables, and eventually the MC board. The error still persists.
Any suggestion I could try on?

Regards
Leo

Me too!
Sorry Leo, I might have the same trouble.
I got the error (0500 0300 0001 0002) after a bad clog. I followed the Wiki to unclog.
Since then I changed the hot end to stainless and fiddled with the cables to no avail.
Today I changed to a heavy duty tool head cable and installed the cable chain. NO JOY.
Same error code. I guess I will try the little $10 board on the front of the extruder next. Maybe the cable that goes to the top plug on that little board.
My P1P is down for a couple weeks now, RATS.
thanks,
Dave

Edit: I fooled around with those 3 pesky cable plugs and it works again.

I have the same code, did you end up sorting it? if so what was wrong?

Replaced that “toolhead cable” now everything works fine again! Bought that “heavy duty” one. The first (probably the cheaper one) didn’t really work for a long time. There is a good manual in that wiki for replacing that cable.

I received the same error today …(HMS_0500_0300_0001_0002. The toolhead is malfunctioning. Please restart the device.)
and my P1P will not heat up the hot end so that I can withdraw the filament. So that’s stuck also. My printer is only a couple months old and I barely put a dozen prints through it so far.

Can someone say specifically, what cables they “fiddled with“ to get it to work again?
Thanks!

1 Like

I have been struggling with this for a few days now. I’ve had mine for a little over 2 weeks, many many prints, then I got this error. Same tool head error, many weird errors as well. I opened a ticket with support and got a fairly quick response. I had sent in my logs and after they looked at them they said there was a communication error between my tool head board and the MC board. They are shipping me a new tool head board. After they said it was a comm issue, I did take the covers off and look at the connectors. They all seemed tight. So, I guess I’ll wait and replace that board when it arrives. Seems kinda funny printers about the same age having the same issues. Maybe had some bad boards?

I did the same putting my all metal hotend in and I am guessing the plugs weren’t seated properly. It took 3-4 times and everything went working and is still working fine.

Check and make sure the plugs (all 3 ) are in all the way and properly. If they are even slightly out of not quite seated right it will get this error.

You’ll have to bend the wires around to make sure the plugs are seated.

Yea. Thanks for posting. That is pretty coincidental. I’ll see what they get back to me with. Hopefully, the new board they send you will solve the problem.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a try.

I have been struggling with this error for a while and my printer is still very new itself. I’ve checked all the cables and placements of them numerous times.
I got a replacement board and installed that to no avail, and even changed my hot ends to the steel ones.
I just keep getting the error.
I’ve reset my printer, I’ve tried going to another firmware setting, and every time I do the self check it says it’s fine.
But the moment I try to print it just gives me the error and halts everything.

I had this happen to me the 2 days ago and it drove me nearly mad! The extruder ribbon plug was out one tooth. I checked it so many times! Printer is now fully opperational and I will modify the board where the plugs connect. All they need is ends mounted so when the plug goes in it hits the mark every time. I will suggest this to tech support so maybe they will upgrade the plug so this won’t happen again.

Guys, for those that the printer is new and you you cant believe that its not working due to this error, i was one of them! so the fix is to make sure all the connections are well connected! Trust me! if there is there its because they are not well connected!
GL!

1 Like

Brand new P1S here and same issue. Looked at the tool head and appears a part exploded . Printer is 24hrs old and this . Waiting for support to get back to me but if this is a common experience, I might have to retune this

I have the same issue with my new A1 Mini… I unplugged and checked all Cables at least five times and it still doesn’t work… what am I supposed to do now?

Bambus support has been quite bad so far…

I have this issue too and my P1s isn’t more than 3 months old. I’ve swapped out for hardened steel gears, but nothing will getrid of this code. My connections are fine and I’ve also swapped out the front, back and connecting cable of the toolhead with new boards/cable.
Did you get yours sorted?