How to entice people to rate?

Not sure this is a shared experience, but it seems that my models can often get to 100 to 200 or so downloads / prints without ever receiving a rating.
I am not concerned about the points from the rating (also they are added retroactively anyway) but I know users will naturally be suspicious of profiles with no rating at all and may not take the chance on a long print that has not been vetted by other users.

I have popular models each with lots of used profiles an no ratings.

I have other popular models each with lots of used profiles with all of them 5 or close to 5 star rated.

I have other popular models each with lots of used profiles where only one is rated.

It is all hit and miss, I haven’t worked out a cause yet.

Eventually, someone rates and as you say, the points flow in. Not that the points are your focus.

1 Like

You can put text in the model description asking people to rate, like, subscribe, and ring that bell, but it’s an uphill battle.

3 Likes

Hmm sounds like my experience is not unique. I also noticed a lot of inconsistency between when models get their first rating.

a cartoon drawing of a man sitting on a ladder in front of a pile of gold

1 Like

When a designer ask for ratings or photos, it usually gets me thinking about it and more likely to do those things. Although I’m pretty bad about actively rating things in general, so.

I find it a little frustrating when I get lots of comments, but no ratings. I’m always anxious to know if my print profiles are printing okay. Sometimes I have to figure, well, people are printing it, but not complaining, so there’s that. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Having spent a lot of time on YouTube, I get tired of hearing folks I already follow asking us to “like, subscribe, and hit the notification bell” or some variation thereof. Unless you’re a newbie you tend to know the drill. I’m not a huge fan of being asked to do those things but understand some folks might need the tickler.

On the web page for MakerWorld there is a great feature to see your ratings. It lists the prints you haven’t rated on top. So I routinely go to this listing and rate those I haven’t rated yet (or put it off because I’m still working through issues on my end).

@Contributing_Factor

2 Likes

Someone just rated one of my models and Scrooge McDuck would be proud of all the points that rolled in one after the other.

It does happen.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just me or if you guys are making the same experience, but in my case it’s usually the print profiles that I develop specifically for the A1 mini that get much fewer ratings, and much later in the game too. No idea why that is, but I’ve noticed this trend with several of my models.

Take this one for example. 1400 downloads, 700 prints and plenty of ratings, but not a single one for my A1 mini profile. It’s really weird.

you guys are breaking my heart…

That’s not good. I’ll see if I can patch it up in the next couple of days. I dabble in surgery as one of my many hobbies. I got you.

2 Likes

you weren’t kidding. Thank you, very appreciated.

I am not done with you! Stop wriggling!! @MalcTheOracle hold him down, please.

1 Like

I do my own dentistry (seriously), I have all the tools, I’m sure they will be of use when we open him up.

1 Like

jus…wow. ty, much.

Words I had never hoped to read/hear. Utterly terrifying.

3 Likes

It just happened twice more this evening, maybe you have started something.

You have not lived until you have pulled a half-broken tooth away from the gum it is still attached to and then filed down the protruding shards so you don’t keep lacerating your tongue and sewn up the hole.

Fun times.

Yes, getting a dentist appointment is hard, and ordering the equipment from Amazon was faster. I haven’t needed to do it a third time, lucky though, the tremors would really complicate things.

What the actual…

OMG you made me cringe. Abso-freaking-lutely scary and horrifying. I mean, bravo. You’re a braver man than I.

I may be able to do it with half a bottle of burbon and a bib. We would never speak of it again.

I have to say I don’t really have this experience. There was one time I can think of where my model went up to 100 downloads and it hadn’t been rated yet.

But all my profiles usually get rated. Even if it’s just for A1 minis. I’d really be curious to see some sort of user data to try and figure how/why people rate.

The “solution” to enticing people to rate is already present in bambu handy: users are reminded to rate things they’ve printed. Additional enticement is in form of points for good reviews (and it doesn’t mean points for 4/5 star reviews, it means points for taking time and making photos, describing issues if any and any rating is rewarded)

I dunno what model/profile creator can do on top of that.

2 Likes

I just started making my own 3d models, and the first one I uploaded got 5 total prints, and 2 reviews. Both reviews were one star, but I couldn’t figure out what went wrong because I decided to once again print my model using the print profile I had uploaded, and it printed perfectly. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I’m asking because those ratings are making my model look really bad. Any ideas? Suggestions?

It’s not the best situation but some users will rate a profile low until you help them solve whatever issue is causing the problem. In effect they hold the designer hostage until you teach them how to print. There’s a thread about low ratings and why here somewhere.

And then there are those who for whatever reason don’t like the model or it somehow triggers them so they rate low on purpose just to sabotage. There’s a thread here about that too.

It’s just how it goes. Did you reach out to the user to see what their issue was? That will tell you what kind of user you’re dealing with.